20:1 manual box upgrade.

-

Grinder

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone here rebuilt their own manual steering box with the 20:1 mopar replacement worm gear? How were the end results? My dart is a daily driver,trying to decide between 20:1 or 16:1.I am strong and COULD handle the 16:1,but dont know how bad it would be on a daily driver.

What else would I need beside the worm gear when rebuilding the box? Its already in very good shape with no play,but the ratio is just too damn slow!

Has anyone here rebuilt their own manual steering box with the 20:1 mopar replacement worm gear? How were the end results? My dart is a daily driver,trying to decide between 20:1 or 16:1.I am strong and COULD handle the 16:1,but dont know how bad it would be on a daily driver.

What else would I need beside the worm gear when rebuilding the box? Its already in very good shape with no play,but the ratio is just too damn slow!

Sorry I can't answer in the frame of mind you want, but I think even Rick E. (Mopar Action) recommends getting this done professionally.

I'd hardly consider 20:1 an upgrade. 16:1 would be decent. Steering effort is not terrible. Same lock to lock as the power box - 3.5 turns.

Hey P,

Nice to see you around here again - car is looking great!

OP: Check out the last few additions of "Mopar Action" ... good reading on steering, both man and pwr.

I have had every combo possible over the past 25 years. I need power steering to run my hydroboost.

Pete, when you were running a 16:1 box, what was your steering wheel diameter and tire size??

I've found steering wheel effort and feel is very driver dependent. What one person likes, another doesn't like. It's really tough to make suggestions.

And it makes a differernce what type of driving you do. Someone living in the middle of the city daily commuting on surface streets more likely will like power assist steering than someone's after work cruiser living in Iowa.

I have the grant wheel that looks like a tuff wheel. This was before the new grant repro tuff wheel thats the size of a school bus wheel. I modified it to fit the factory column and horn pad with a billet ring. I have always run a 245 or 255 tire in the front, and steering wasn't bad for me.

Thanks guys. I plan on running 17" wheels with 245's front and rear. I am going to give the 16:1 a try,I keep thinking that the high speed feel would make up for the low speed workout.

I just replaced my old 24:1 steering box with the 16:1 unit in my 383 FS car.
Haven´t had the opportunity to take it for a test yet due to the weather.
Hopefully I´ll be able to go for a test tomorrow.
See if I´ll have some sore arms tomorrow, LOL

I've had a 16:1 manual box in my Barracuda for 15 years or so. It's definitely not fun to park it, but it's not bad when I'm going down the road. It would be better if I had better seats in the car that held you in the seat. I'm running 215s in front currently. I have the stock steering wheel.

Thanks guys. I plan on running 17" wheels with 245's front and rear. I am going to give the 16:1 a try,I keep thinking that the high speed feel would make up for the low speed workout.

You need to be pretty strong to use that manual around town - assess yourself objectively.

-
Back