20 years ago today

-

340john

Reaction score
Hello all,

Picture the scene...me, a 17 year old punk kid looking for a car to replace my '68 charger. I see this beautiful Yellow '70 340 swinger in the school parking lot and decide that I HAVE TO HAVE IT. She was all original with 64K miles, matching numbers 340, four speed, sure grip and factory tach. She was the most beautiful car I had ever seen Bright Yellow, Black vinyl top, black interior and black bumblebee stripe. Well....I bought her and I still own her today!!! She has seen three repaints : yellow, sublime and rallye red, but through it all the original drivetrain is still in the car and I can't even think of what it would be like if I never bought her. I took her to the track (Englishtown) one time in 1988 and she ran a 13.56...most importantly I beat my buddy's tri power GTO.
I am planning a well needed restoration for some time this summer or next fall. I have started to collect as many NOS parts as I can possibly find. Thank you all for letting me ramble about "baby" I know you can all understand my fellings about this car.

You sound a lot like me. It was 1982 and I was 2 years out of high school and had a '74 Satellite Sebring plus with a built 318. A friend of mine was working with a guy who had a one-of-53 '69 Formula S 383 4-speed car with 13,701 miles on it for sale. All I had was $1600 and my car. He had paid $3700 for the car and said he could not sell it for so little. I told him I would try to sell my car and call him. He called me the next day and said come and get it! I dropped the phone, drove up there, bought it, and drove it home (25 miles) with open headers, 14x32 slicks, and no tags just to get it done before he had time to change his mind. I still have it and pictures are posted on this site.

I can definitely relate 340john. I bought my Duster 340 new in 1973 when I was 17. Just to put in in perspective, I've had my wife for 30 years and my Duster for 33 years. Good luck with the resto and keep us posted.

congrats. My wife and I have had our 68 340 GTS convertible for 23 years (Jan 26).

I'm right there with ya, bro. In fact, check out my thread "Captainkirk's Duster project" in the General Discussions forum. I'd love to see a similar thread with some of you guys' memories as well......after all, if ya don't share 'em, they're lost forever! :thumblef:

-
Back