200R4 vs A518 vs Keisler A41 fitment

-

D_Zoot

Reaction score
I've got a 69 Dart, very nicely done restomod-ish, with a 440 and I'm looking to upgrade to an overdrive trans. I'd much prefer an OD transmission instead of the GV overdrive. I've been doing a lot of forum searches, reading and research and I'm finding a lot of inconsistent information. Basically I'm trying to find out which transmission fits with the least amount of floor mods. I've found reference that the 200R4 is a almost a "bolt-in", then other references that say the floor needs reworking, same with the A518.

Another option I've found is the Keisler A41, which claims to be direct fit with only minor work on the torsion bar x-member and flattening out the pinch weld at the firewall. Has anyone here used the Keisler? Silver Sport Transmission sells it with a complete installation package.

I don't mind having some minor work on the x-member done, but I'm really wanting to avoid cutting into the floorpan. So, which transmission can be fit with only x-member work and which ones will indeed need floor pan modifications?

The A518 takes quite a bit of tunnel and crossmember work, and was never available with the big block bolt pattern, although adapters are available. This thread 42RH / A-500 in a Duster with pictures. will give you some idea of the fitment issues- although for an A500, the overdrive housings are the same with the same clearance considerations.
The SSA41 kit also makes no mention of a big block bellhousing being available. It also requires a computer and it's engine sensors (TPS, etc.) for shifting. They claim "no tunnel mods necessary", but don't mention crossmember mods. The trans is modified to accept a speedometer cable, which they supply.
The 200R4 supposedly fits with next to no mods, but any installs I have heard of were on smallblocks- so again you're on your own finding a big block conversion bellhousing. And getting a custom speedo cable. @jbc426 runs one, maybe he can chime in on fitment.

The SSA41 kit also makes no mention of a big block bellhousing being available. It also requires a computer and it's engine sensors (TPS, etc.) for shifting. They claim "no tunnel mods necessary", but don't mention crossmember mods. The trans is modified to accept a speedometer cable, which they supply.
I had already reached out to SST on the A41, they can indeed supply the unit with a big block bell and the install kit comes complete with a lower crossmember, the electronics/controller package, Upper crossmember mods are claimed to be limited to cutting out a specific area of the top of the crossmember (they sent me a PDF of the cut template and instructions).

It sounds like a well planned package, but I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has actually done/seen one

The A518 takes quite a bit of tunnel and crossmember work, and was never available with the big block bolt pattern, although adapters are available. This thread 42RH / A-500 in a Duster with pictures. will give you some idea of the fitment issues- although for an A500, the overdrive housings are the same with the same clearance considerations.
The 200R4 supposedly fits with next to no mods, but any installs I have heard of were on smallblocks- so again you're on your own finding a big block conversion bellhousing. And getting a custom speedo cable. @jbc426 runs one, maybe he can chime in on fitment.
2004R's can be built to handle a lot of power reliably, and could easily handle a moderately built big block. Using a bolt on bellhousing from either Reid or Quick Time to bolt on either a 2004R or 4L60 is only a phone call or a few clicks away.

4L60 Bell.jpg

4L60e To Small Blk Mopar.jpg

Using a bolt on bellhousing from either Reid or Quick Time to bolt on either a 2004R or 4L60 is only a phone call or a few clicks away.
I don't see any 200r4 bells on QT's website anymore and Reid doesn't have a bell specifically for the 200r4, but I did see Extreme Automatics is making an adapter ring to adapt a Reid to the 200r4. I would suspect using an adapter ring is going to locate the transmission further back, adding to clearance concerns?

Last edited:
Just asking, not trying to be an ahole,
but
but, you have 440 in a lightweight Dart that already runs at well well under
8-pounds per cubic inch, even with a heavy driver;
so why, jus asking, are you entertaining an overdrive? versus
just a smaller rear gear and/or, a lil more stall?
I get that there are reasons; just trying to understand.
and altho I do have a GV-od (with an A833), I bought it for split-shifting, to keep the little engine on the small cam, and to one-time, cut a sharp Eighth-mile using four gears . Low-rpm Cruising, for me, was just a side-benefit.
But if I'd have had a 440, Ida never bought that overdrive. Course I wouldn't have had the 4-speed either, lol, and probably not that pig-heavy A-body either, more lols. Ima thinking a New Yorker, yeah ....................
Like said, just trying to understand.

I don't see any 200r4 bells on QT's website anymore and Reid doesn't have a bell specifically for the 200r4, but I did see Extreme Automatics is making an adapter ring to adapt a Reid to the 200r4. I would suspect using an adapter ring is going to locate the transmission further back, adding to clearance concerns?
The Gen 3 Hemi and the small block Mopar use the same bell housing. I just bought a Quick Time bell to adapt a 4L60 to a small block Magnum and several years of the 4L60's come with a bolt on bellhousing.

Extreme Automatics adapter ring bolts onto the front pump cover of the 2004R allowing a Reid bellhousing to be bolted on using the adapter ring. This obviously necessitates cutting off the original bellhousing on the 2004R's, but it's not hard to do that yourself. If it does move the transmission back farther, it would only be about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, the thickness of the adapter ring).

-
Back