215 60 15 grabbing fender

-

ewolfe

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have just completed the big bolt pattern disk brake conversion on my 72 Dart with 73+ upper control arms. I put on 15x7 cop car ralleys all the way around it. The 215 60 15 tires that were on the 15x6 rims before I made the swap cleared the fender just fine. Now that I've redone the front end and added cop car ralleys with the same tires it had before...the passenger front tire grabbed the fender and bent it inward. The drivers side does not grab...but is dangerously close.

I paid $85 to have the front end aligned and asked if they could manipulate the wheel as far back as possible...no dice.

Do I need to run like a 205 or 195 tire to fix this?

What are you guys running?

i use a 195/65/15 on my 15 x 7 wheels with a 3 1/2 inch backspace in front with no grab

although this is on a duster

Attachments

• d83.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 123
I run 225 70 14's but I take turns slow because I don't totally trust they won't rub. Especially on a Bumpy turn.

Where is it hitting the fender ?

The lower front portion of the fender ?

That's where they usually rub first.
Take a piece of tape,and tape off a straight line.
Get a cut off wheel,and cut the bottom edge off along the tape line.
Paint the bare edge and your done.
Where it's at,you will never know it was altered.

I ran 235/60-15 on the front of a 74 dart.
You should be able to run a 215.

Johnny, that is exactly where it snagged. I am backing up and turning when it grabs at the very bottom corner. It has bent the fender in pretty good right now, but I should be able to pull it out.

Do you have a pic of what you are talking about cutting? I don't mind cutting this car as it's going to be a daily driver...the TKO install is finally done :)

Johnny, that is exactly where it snagged. I am backing up and turning when it grabs at the very bottom corner. It has bent the fender in pretty good right now, but I should be able to pull it out.

Do you have a pic of what you are talking about cutting? I don't mind cutting this car as it's going to be a daily driver...the TKO install is finally done :)

Sold my 74 Dart,so no pics of that car.

Really not hard to figure out.
Jack the front of the car up so both wheels are just off the ground.
Now you can turn the wheel back and forth,and see where the tires are
catching the fender. Get some tape and make a straight line,and cut along the tape line. Your really not cutting that much,just a little at a time.
It will make sense when you look at it.

And like I said,when your done,you would never know it was done.

-
Back