273-4 vacuum leak

-

plycuda

Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm writing to ask advice about a (likely) vacuum leak. I have a '67 Barracuda Convertible with a recently-rebuilt 273-4 Hi-Po (not by me; a local machine shop), .030 over; Hughes did the heads (ported and "larger" SS valves). Compression is estimated at 9.2. Cam was size recommended by Hughes staff (can't think of specs at the moment; it's a 'mild lope 340' from Comp Cams). Exhaust is from '69 340 Engine. Carter 4-barrel is the original PN (new from Edelbrock in '02); rebuilt a few weeks ago. We've replaced both gaskets (one over/under the 1" aluminum spacer), checked to hoses (advance, gauge and PVC hose). Engine is not fully broken in yet (two 20-minute runs); this is just the "assembly" stage! We've now started setting it for street break-in runs. Engine RPM is extremely slow to return to set idle unless I hand-cover the carb (which then immediately returns to set idle). Any advice? Thanks.

The best way I've found to check for an intake leak is to spray the mating areas of the heads and carb with WD-40 or similar sprays and listen for RPM change on idle.

Hello,
Thanks for the replies. We found the problem; intake manifold bolts were not torqued. Redid them and no leak! The suggestion to retorque the intake AFTER the two 20-minute initial break-in runs was part of the written instructions from the machine shop (I didn't READ everything first)!
BTW: today we complete the reassembly. Engine running, PS unit in place, console installed, carpets and seats back in place. Ready for some on-the-road break-in travels.
Thanks again

-
Back