273 Build

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got word that the engine builder that has my 273 got started. He called me on Friday and said the block checks out, deck is good and mag’d with no cracks. However he did have bad news. After boring to .040 he found three holes with issues. Two have fairly deep pits and the other has a scratch. Options were to go .060 and buy new pistons, find another block and start from scratch or go with sleeves. Since I already purchased a decent set of pistons I choose sleeves. He’s going to try and hone the third hole hoping that may take the scratch out. Whe’ll see.

Well, finally got word that the engine builder that has my 273 got started. He called me on Friday and said the block checks out, deck is good and mag’d with no cracks. However he did have bad news. After boring to .040 he found three holes with issues. Two have fairly deep pits and the other has a scratch. Options were to go .060 and buy new pistons, find another block and start from scratch or go with sleeves. Since I already purchased a decent set of pistons I choose sleeves. He’s going to try and hone the third hole hoping that may take the scratch out. Whe’ll see.
Keep us posted. Any pics of how bad the block was? Just curious.

How far down in the hole are the pits in the cylinder wall? If they're below the swept area of the rings, I'd run it. Sometimes machinists get kinda jumpy if the entire bore isn't perfect... or if their kids' college tuition is due.

with about any performance cam that you might install, compression will not start until about 50/60 degrees AFTER bottom dead center, when the intake valve finally closes, according to the advertised specs. Thus pits in the zone of more than 3.315 from the top of the piston, are inconsequential to making pressure.
With an Ica of 55* the Effective stroke is 2.76.
By 60* the E-stroke is down to 2.66. and
by 65* it is just 2.54.
At say 2.66 Effective(60*Ica), from 3.315, that is .655inch, from the bottom of the area that is swept by the rings, where there ain't no compressing going on.
If your pistons come to Zero deck, this means any pits below ~2.66 from the deck, are meaningless.
Pits above that, could however, affect the bottom of the intake stroke, (mostly meaningless by this time) but, potentially, could trap oil that could lead to detonation, depending on your compression ratio, and the amount of oil entering the combustion chamber.

I'll wager that the pits are from water sitting on the top of the piston while in storage. If the piston was at the bottom of the stroke, the pits would be at about 3.315 plus the deck height plus the crevice distance so let's estimate the bottom of the pit at 3.62 from the deck going to perhaps 3.5 from the deck. That would be a non-issue.
But if the pit is up closer to 1 inch from the deck, that might have the potential to hurt, as the pressure scoots by first the top ring then the second. However, Firstly; this is only gonna be for a couple of crankshaft degrees and once the rpm gets up, this will only be for micro-seconds. And secondly, not much oil is gonna get up to that pit cuz the squirters will never really get to it.
So, IDK, it's sortof a judgement call, based on where exactly the pit is.
But if your machinist thinks another .020 will clean it up, Ima thinking to pretend I never saw it, no matter where it is; thats my judgement, lol.

Last edited:
How far down in the hole are the pits in the cylinder wall? If they're below the swept area of the rings, I'd run it. Sometimes machinists get kinda jumpy if the entire bore isn't perfect... or if their kids' college tuition is due.
That sounds like my dentist that I helped put his kids through college

Same scenario here. I needed one sleeve at .040. The forum consensus at the time was to sleeve it. I did that and it looks great. I haven't built the engine yet, but I am expecting zero issues.

Well, I trust this guy. He has a good rep.

Got the short block back today

C88E44DF-1426-425A-AF94-873146E44148.jpeg

3D67F164-7D6F-4D8E-846F-29461535FD39.jpeg

F2DE1446-61FF-48D2-ADEB-8EE72CB6879E.jpeg

-
Back