273 CI

-
64 was the first year. Yes B bodies had 273's available. All were 2 barrel engines.

According to Barrett Jackson (insert eyeroll) they had one. The page is still up, no pictures, but the VIN is still there.
1967 PLYMOUTH BELVEDERE II 2 DOOR HARDTOP - - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions
ENgines available in the Belvedere line . This is a page from the factory ordering information posted on the Hamtramck Historical website. No 273-4 available in that model. https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...ok/1967/67_Belvedere_features_options0008.jpg

upload_2022-2-28_19-31-18.png

BJ did an appraisal on a local and never verified fender tag or VIN. Because it had a “k” medallion (replacement panel
Over back speaker) they called it a K model. It was obviously a 300.

I have a line on a 65 B body , guy say's he thinks the 273 4 barrel HP was original to the car ! So not the case
If the price is right and the engine runs while it might not be origional to the car it might be worth it.
Pull a plug and shine some light in and you should be able to see the hump on the piston.

Also look at the punches under the drivers side head for year etc.

Also if the heads are older pre 66??? the manifold bolts will have a smaller head on them than the 66??? Up heads. ( There is also an angle difference and some casting line that is also a tell for old heads. IIRC) As I understand it the older head engines are not as desirable due to intake availability.

Please anyone, correct anything, I messed up!

Last edited:
If the price is right and the engine runs while it might not be origional to the car it might be worth it.
Pull a plug and shine some light in and you should be able to see the hump on the piston.

Also look at the punches under the drivers side head. If it is a commando or charger engine I think ( I think) there will be an HP stamped.

Also if the heads are older pre 66??? the manifold bolts will have a smaller head on them than the 66??? Up heads. ( There is also an angle difference and some casting line that is also a tell for old heads. IIRC) As I understand it the older head engines are not as desirable due to intake availability.

Please anyone, correct anything, I messed up!
All good but no HP stamp. All 273's used the same blocks and heads for their particular years. The 4 barrel engines used the same heads as the 2 barrel engines did. The compression increase was the pistons.

I guess never say never...

1965 parts book, there is a 65 273 4bbl so you never know.
Screenshot_20220228-212837.png

3rd quarter 63 casting dates for the 64 model year. 2BBL only until 65. V2 and L2 stand for Valiant and Dart only.

All good but no HP stamp. All 273's used the same blocks and heads for their particular years. The 4 barrel engines used the same heads as the 2 barrel engines did. The compression increase was the pistons
Corrected the HP.

I get a charge out of Barrett Jackson or some of the Mopar magazines for that matter. It's easy to come up with a 1 of 1 car if you don't have any proof to back it up. A 65 Coronet is a 55 year old car and any time in those 55 years the 4 barrel and goodies could have been bolted on. Unless it shows on the vin, fender tag, and build sheet, I have a hard time believing it happened.

I get a charge out of Barrett Jackson or some of the Mopar magazines for that matter. It's easy to come up with a 1 of 1 car if you don't have any proof to back it up.

This is the only car of this model that I farted in the driver's seat.... That makes it 1 of 1.... :D :steering:

-
Back