273 Commando - UTG

-
I tend to look at the guy's shop.
I do too.
I looked at the big shop he was in and this new one. Hardly any tools, hardly any parts.
I'm a retired Carpenter that works on cars as a hobby and I have 3 times the tools and parts in my shop. He comes across as a guy that wants to look like a car guy. I didn't see a MIG welder, no sandblast cabinet, no air tools, no cordless tools, a small work bench and table. That is pathetic.

Ah yes, Uncle Tony ..he still around...? Id imagine he's repeated every Mopar video he's made oh 3 times or more now...
Ill chime in a bit, what I remember as a kid in the 80s (teenager drivers license in 86...) was that in the Mopar world B bodies with 383s were the standard.
Uncle Tony may have said noone wanted the small block Barracuda, I'm not sure if that was true but alot of big blocks were still to be had cheap in the 80s, in fact that's about when or maybe early 90s when the B bodies and parts started being scarfed up by "parts and resto guys" the guys making money at Carlisle every year ...I think the first Chryslers at Carlisle show was 1991...
a bit of useless trivia but if you weren't there or are too young this may help paint a picture of how the Mopar hobby got expensive. I remember when no one wanted A bodies they were cheap also 318 B bodies were cheap also.

this is how I remember it and memories fade. I was there in 1988 buying 1969 318 Coronet 500s for $200 towing them home and getting them running ...

Tony makes it up as he goes I think people are starting to realize he's a click baiter some are ok with that others aren't. I personally don't agree with rewriting history but...I realize I am a minority :)

As far as early A bodies Id love a 64-66 barracuda or Dart to put a 340 or 360 in...these cars are around I wont say they are cheap though nothing is any more...last I saw like 2 or 3 years ago was a 65 Barracuda for 5 grand...I forget the drivetrain I think it was 273-318 something like that it was gone quick is all I know.

Last edited:
Ma Mopar started putting 8.75 rears in 4 speed cars mid production year of 1965. This was due to the number of 4 speed cars coming in for warranty rear replacements. Same year NHRA made a rule change that allowed 8.75 rears in Stock/SuperStock 65 cars. 66 saw 8.75 rears as standard in 4 speed cars. I would assume if the right box was checked you could get the 8.75 in an automatic.
I've heard that too, but, I've still never seen proof of a '65 model with a factory installed 8 3/4. Dealer installed, yes, lot's of those due to breaking the 7 1/4. I'm not sure what would be needed as proof however. An original order sheet would probably have that. The build sheet MIGHT indicate one.....so MIGHT the window sticker. 409 code is a special order rear. The axle ratio could be a clue also as some ratio's weren't available in some rear ends. The driveshaft code on the build sheet would probably indicate which rear it came with too as the length would be different. As for it being standard on a '66 4 speed car, no. I've personally seen two original '66 FS cars with a 4 speed and a 7 1/4 SG rear. All my manuals only list a 7 1/4 rear axle housing and axle shaft for a '65 model. My early '66 Barracuda ( 8/17/65 build date) came with what I believe is a factory 8 3/4. It didn't have a window sticker or build sheet when I bought the car in 1980, but, it doesn't look like it was ever changed and the ratio code matches the IBM card from Chrysler Historical.

I've heard that too, but, I've still never seen proof of a '65 model with a factory installed 8 3/4. Dealer installed, yes, lot's of those due to breaking the 7 1/4. I'm not sure what would be needed as proof however. An original order sheet would probably have that. The build sheet MIGHT indicate one.....so MIGHT the window sticker. 409 code is a special order rear. The axle ratio could be a clue also as some ratio's weren't available in some rear ends. The driveshaft code on the build sheet would probably indicate which rear it came with too as the length would be different. As for it being standard on a '66 4 speed car, no. I've personally seen two original '66 FS cars with a 4 speed and a 7 1/4 SG rear. All my manuals only list a 7 1/4 rear axle housing and axle shaft for a '65 model. My early '66 Barracuda ( 8/17/65 build date) came with what I believe is a factory 8 3/4. It didn't have a window sticker or build sheet when I bought the car in 1980, but, it doesn't look like it was ever changed and the ratio code matches the IBM card from Chrysler Historical.
I have a copy of the NHRA notice allowing the 8.75 in Junior Stock. I can’t remember if it’s dated. If dated that would give one an idea of about when the factory started putting them in 4 speed cars. As far as the cars that got warranty replacements the shop invoice would probably the only proof.

I have a copy of the NHRA notice allowing the 8.75 in Junior Stock. I can’t remember if it’s dated. If dated that would give one an idea of about when the factory started putting them in 4 speed cars. As far as the cars that got warranty replacements the shop invoice would probably the only proof.
To me, the availability of an 8 3/4 only confirms when they started making them and could be dealer installed, not when they were a factory option. I'd like to see some official paperwork (like and order sheet) where that option was actually included in a factory build.

Not UTG but there’s more…

Nice looking rust-free car. A few things mentioned that are not correct. It does not have factory disc brakes. They're the later single piston type like what comes on a '73-up A-body or similar. The factory discs for '66-72 use the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes system. As I mentioned in another post, this FS 4 speed car has the 7 1/4 SG rear. Looks like this car had the original gas tank replaced. They also haven't hooked up the back-up light wiring. It has the wrong radiator, carb, and looks to have some aftermarket pulleys. Suspension parts have been replaced with aftermarket stuff also, but, that's to be expected. It's also an early model '66 with the "V" grille emblem.....like my avatar. I'd have to watch the video again to see if it shows the back glass emblem. It should match, as well as the horn button and wheel cover centers. The change from V to fish happened in late September from what I've been able to determine. Anyone have an October build V car?

I watched UTG for a while. Then, here and there, more and more I'd think.... "well that's not right" about stuff he says. THEN.... he demonstrated a Chinese cam bearing tool. I thought to myself.... if this guy is a seasoned car guy with all kinds of experience of building cars; why in the F doesn't he have a good quality US made cam bearing tool???

I'm gonna be honest. I own a Chinese cam bearing tool. I even used it in one of my videos. But I've built maybe four engines in my life, and I'm in no way an authority figure in the automotive world.

I watched UTG for a while. Then, here and there, more and more I'd think.... "well that's not right" about stuff he says. THEN.... he demonstrated a Chinese cam bearing tool. I thought to myself.... if this guy is a seasoned car guy with all kinds of experience of building cars; why in the F doesn't he have a good quality US made cam bearing tool???

Uncle Tony is a YT influencer ...that is his lot in life. I assume he's made a few bucks at it but I don't see anyone seriously following his recipes for car builds...I just spent money getting J heads rebuilt , they needed everything Tony would throw them on the car and run them as they were, maybe wire wheel them and paint them...I cant bring myself to do that kind of work. I suppose I know the end result of running worn out heads.

Similar to the Ford 289 the same years. 4.5L isn't considered a small V-8 in Euro world, especially today. Of course those have better breathing with overhead camshafts. You have to spin the rpm up to get the HP. They say "all original", but first thing you see in the engine bay is that later square-top radiator. Not faulting that since the round-tops would often split the top seam, though they are purty.

True that Barracudas sales were a small fraction of the Mustang. The Barracuda was better mechanically, but the Mustang was purtier and looked fast. I think more were sold as 6 cyl for both cars, showing it's more about the look than speed. The main goal was to pickup hot chicks and the blondes were clueless. One girl in high school wouldn't shut-up about the new GM convertible daddy bought her (~1974). We asked if a 6 or 8 cyl and she didn't know.

Last edited:

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the 273 for the time period. Ford had the 260 and 289 and Chev had bored the 265 to 283. All good engines that got further displacement increases. And they were reliable. The SBM was generally good for 150,000 miles while the Ford and Chev were usually pretty clapped out by 100,000 miles.
The muscle car quest for power was on, so they got bored and/or stroked or put to pasture for big blocks.

My 1st 1965 Formula S I looked at in 1974 and eventually bought about 1976 had a 4sp and 8 3/4 - I still have the fender tag along with a lot of the parts from it - it had the side swiped as it sat out on the street. My current 1965 S 4 sp is a Feb build with a 7 1/4 posi. Parted a 1966 auto S car with a 8 3/4 but since it had a 340 in it not sure if it was orginal - that fender tag is somewhere - wounder if the tag would have a code ?

that fender tag is somewhere
Depending upon the exact numbers, that fender tag alone could be worth more than the car. I've heard of people buying a rusted-out car w/ desirable fender tag, replacing everything under the fender tag (plus VIN tag if exists), then calling that the same car. Of course, with options to match the tag.

That guy's a loud mouth BS artist. The only early A body I ever owned was a 1965 Valiant 273-4bbl, and yes it was factory and it had all the documentation. It sold new at the Valiant Dealership in Blue Ridge GA.

It had a factory floor shifted auto transmission.

Factory buckets.

The 273 did well in Hillclimb and Rallye use. It was also a VERY competitive SCCA car. I spoke to one of the guys who ran Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth products in SCCA about one he ran in Washington State for a Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth dealer as a Ronin. A big Healey wanted to trade paint and Bill let him trade paint. The Healey was torn all to dickens at the end of the event. To make a very clear point, they had an extra set of fenders, inner fenders, doors and a hood. The Healey couldn't even get into the trailer, the Valiant guys just swapped out sheetmetal. The guy who owned the dealership put a tag on it and drove it away from the race.

Is Uncle Tony a member here?
If he is, likely just a viewer. He would need a thick skin to tolerate the abuse he takes from other "experts" here. I like his youtubes and learn a lot, but many people are offended by anyone treading in their playground. Be careful what tech opinions you express here, especially anything about racing or slant-six engines. But, not as bad as fusses on sites about military history or gun tech. Those playgrounds have a tough crowd which is easily offended.

If he is, likely just a viewer. He would need a thick skin to tolerate the abuse he takes from other "experts" here. I like his youtubes and learn a lot, but many people are offended by anyone treading in their playground. Be careful what tech opinions you express here, especially anything about racing or slant-six engines. But, not as bad as fusses on sites about military history or gun tech. Those playgrounds have a tough crowd which is easily offended. I
You're probably right. On another mopar forum one member called him an "ignorant,arrogant mopar version of Scotty Kilmer" and claimed he'd knock him out if he ever saw him in person because he got into an argument with him on youtube over something he was wrong about. I've only seen a couple of his videos years ago,so I don't know much about him,but he seems to rub a lot of folks the wrong way. Theres something about internet forums that seems to bring out the best in people. Lol

There is alot of bs and rewriting history...general arguments over false information, Uncle Tony is part of that too...but Tony isn't as much of a problem as the people who listen to and regurgitate his bs...and want to stand their ground and argue his points...Tony never did run a 10 second quarter mile with that 318 in that Coronet for example...he claimed he would, never did ... some people are ok with that and still claim a 318 can do a 10 second quarter mile in a B body...Tony even sprayed that heap of dung with Nitrous, couldn't do a 10...

There is alot of bs and rewriting history...general arguments over false information, Uncle Tony is part of that too...but Tony isn't as much of a problem as the people who listen to and regurgitate his bs...and want to stand their ground and argue his points...Tony never did run a 10 second quarter mile with that 318 in that Coronet for example...he claimed he would, never did ... some people are ok with that and still claim a 318 can do a 10 second quarter mile in a B body...Tony even sprayed that heap of dung with Nitrous, couldn't do a 10...
Hard to imagine a 318 couldn't run <10 sec qtr mile, at least with mods, since a slant-six ran 9.09 sec:

Is Uncle Tony a member here?
He was, @whitepunkonitro was His Member/user name, not seen in a while. I'm not even sure this will tag Him, probably been too long, & He probably won't see it if it does.

If UTG has a 273 Commando the block is cracked ,and he sold the valve covers, intake and adjustable valvetrain long ago to pay the electric bill at his shop... :lol:

He was, @whitepunkonitro was His Member/user name, not seen in a while. I'm not even sure this will tag Him, probably been too long, & He probably won't see it if it does.
Yep. no need to tag him here.

There is alot of bs and rewriting history...general arguments over false information, Uncle Tony is part of that too...but Tony isn't as much of a problem as the people who listen to and regurgitate his bs...and want to stand their ground and argue his points...Tony never did run a 10 second quarter mile with that 318 in that Coronet for example...he claimed he would, never did ... some people are ok with that and still claim a 318 can do a 10 second quarter mile in a By even sprayed that heap of dung with Nitrous, couldn't do a 10...
I know what you mean. I hate people who have the "I may not always be right,but im never wrong" mentality. I avoid car shows for this and other reasons. I once listened to some loudmouth state that he bought a "1957 Golden sport Fury with a factory 383" I told him that Plymouth didn't offer a "Sport Fury" in 1957 and that they didn't offer a 383. But he was adamant that he was right and I was wrong. I just walked away and shook my head and laughed at it. You hear all sorts of crazy misinformation being tossed about as gospel and as you said,the unfortunate thing is that it gets repeated as fact by those who know no better.

-
Back