273 not pulling past 4000

-

mbrooks573

Reaction score
I just had my 273 rebuilt, .030 bore. Put it back in and runs great at low rpm around town. But once I hit 4000, it's almost like the engine just stops pulling. And, if you rev up the engine in neutral to around 4000, it starts missing once it idles back down and sputters a bit. Any thoughts? Looking for good places to start checking. Thanks guys.

Ignition? Points? Breakerless?

Adjustable rockers? Where are they set? Who adjusted them?

What cam? Reputable builder? Did they test/ replace the valve springs?

You run a compression test? Leakdown?

What you have for an exhaust system?

Is the cap / rotor new? How they look? Wet? dirty?

Checked the plug wires? AND THE COIL WIRE?

LOTS and LOTS of places for this to go "downhill."

That's a pretty all inclusive list...I think I'll add fuel filter...just because :)

I'm assuming a little bit here, but after a few seconds does the miss clear out and normal idle/running resume? If so, I might also suggest that the floats are sitting a little low and causing a lean condition at higher engine demand

Stock rebuild, but switched to non-adjustable rockers on the commando 273 with hydraulic cam. Haha, the fuel filter is new! I'm going to check the plug wires and coil on Sunday and see where that leads.

I was out with the car on Sunday when I heard a loud tapping sound. Turns out #2 exhaust lifter is shot. Probably less than 100 miles since the rebuild. I'm assuming this is what causing the engine to act up and then die at 4000. Anyone had this happen after a new rebuild?

Not that quick, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Is there any others not staying pumped up? Any detected oiling issues?

-
Back