273 rocker shaft ?

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I'm going to install my adjustable rockers this weekend and want to make sure I'm putting the shafts on right.No notches on the end of shafts like on my nonadjustable ones.The shafts I got with rockers are plugged at the ends,is this better?Forcing more oil thru small oiling holes.I guess what I want to know should the small oiling holes face up or down?

The actual shafts for that gear should have a banana shaped groove just short of the rocker arm width. The groove carries oil to the sides to prevent galling of the shaft and rocker. The groove/oiling hole faces down like the conventional gear.

The shafts were original w/the rockers,no banana groves,I heard they came either way.I've never seen one w/plugged ends tho.I would think the plugged ends would be better,running out the ends (path of least resitance )just running back into the block.Thanks for all replies.

I have never owned a 273, but all the 318/340/360 that i have seen all had plugs on the end of the rockers....otherwise the oil just runs out the ends.....

The shafts install with the small oiling holes facing down and towards the outside of the engine. Since they are offset from the mounting holes it is possible to install them four different ways, but there is only one correct way as described above. All small block rocker shafts have the ends plugged.

No plugs in the end of the ones that came with the car.No wonder rockers were a little loud on start up,then quiets right down.Been 25 plus years since I've owned a mopar,so I guess I either didn't notice or just plain forgot,damn old age.

-
Back