273 starts hard when hot

-

6671dartster

Reaction score
Having trouble with my 273. It starts real hard when it gets hot. The engine cranks real slow. Its been rebuilt, has a new dist and a new starter. I have adjusted the distributer so that the car starts up and has a good idel, but after 15 min, it wants to cut out and if if does, starts real hard. Any ideas to fix this??:banghead:

#1 I would think the timing may be a couple digress to high, if not that...Check the connections to and from your starter and battery, and how many cranking amps does your battery show it will put out.
#2 Is your fuel line getting hot and vapor locking.. This has been a problem for a few folks.
#3 Coil is breaking down and going bad, My son used my ramcharger and drove about 8 miles and it started acting like it was running out of gas and he pulled in a parking lot and called me, His wife picked him up and I went to the truck an hour later and it fired right up, but by the time I got home it started missing.... Parked it and shut it off and it would not restart
I put an old coil on it and it has never dun it again.. hope this helps

Put the thickest spacer under the carb and make sure the bowl vent is opening when it should.
If you have electronic ignition the module may be the problem also.

Easy to see if timing is the issue, simply try it with the coil wire grounded. I agree with Memike that the coil may be getting hot and failing. You still run breaker points? This could be a symptom of a bad condenser. There should be two. One on the positive terminal of the coil for radio supression. The one in the distributor is the one which would give you trouble.

You said it cranks slow when hot. I'd concentrate on battery/ starter/ cables.

You need to find someone with what is called a "carbon pile" load tester, something like this:

http://www.prestolite.com/images_training/carbon-pile-tester.jpg

These are a great big not to mention huge variable load resistor in series with an ammeter, and with a voltmeter. You can.................

1---Determine if the battery is able to "put out" actual real world current for cranking

2---Determine how much the starter is drawing

3---And, using a voltmeter across the battery connections and cables, determine if the cables are causing too much drop.

4---The other possibility after checking the above is that the engine has developed a bearing problem and is getting ready to seize. Usually, this means it will be down on power, and this doesn't usually last very long.

IF the engine seems to be cranking slowly, the above is almost a necessity, unless you want to just "throw parts" at the problem, IE "guess" whether the battery, starter, cables are on shaky ground. However, if you DO replace the starter, DEFINATELY go to a modern "mini" starter. I hate the sound of them too, but they DO crank faster and draw less current.

With today's fuel, and before I went EFI, the three best things I did for hot starting, fuel wise, is

Installed a thick heat isolator under the carb
Built a vapor return system
Converted to a rear mount electric pump.

Slow cranking only when hot is almost always the starter itself.

Does the car still have a ballast resister before the coil?

Maybe some one asked already.
Do you have headers? Is the starter getting "hot".
Maybe need a heat sheild for the starter.
That is what comes to my mind

I am running a flame thrower2 distributer, I have a new accel coil. Battery has 650 cca. I re-routed the fuel line over along the fender for time being to rule out vaper lock.The starter is a newer starter out of a dodge dakota (99) I think. I dont think there is a ballest resister before the coil.

I am running a flame thrower2 distributer, I have a new accel coil. Battery has 650 cca. I re-routed the fuel line over along the fender for time being to rule out vaper lock.The starter is a newer starter out of a dodge dakota (99) I think. I dont think there is a ballest resister before the coil.

Try putting a ballast resister back inline before the coil....sounds like you might be overheating the coil (a very cheap fix if this is the case).

I got a truck a few years back REALLY cheap because the owner could not get the truck to run for more than about 15 minutes...truck dies...can't restart until hours later. The owner had removed the ballast resister and put in an aftermarket coil. Well, I got the "broken" truck, and with the ballast resister back in place the truck is fine, runs great, no problems staying running at all....I felt kinda bad for the guy, getting rid of the truck over a 5 dollar part. :eek:ops:

Try putting a ballast resister back inline before the coil....sounds like you might be overheating the coil (a very cheap fix if this is the case).

I got a truck a few years back REALLY cheap because the owner could not get the truck to run for more than about 15 minutes...truck dies...can't restart until hours later. The owner had removed the ballast resister and put in an aftermarket coil. Well, I got the "broken" truck, and with the ballast resister back in place the truck is fine, runs great, no problems staying running at all....I felt kinda bad for the guy, getting rid of the truck over a 5 dollar part. :eek:ops:

"Having trouble with my 273. It starts real hard when it gets hot. The engine cranks real slow. Its been rebuilt, has a new dist and a new starter. I have adjusted the distributer so that the car starts up and has a good idel, but after 15 min, it wants to cut out and if if does, starts real hard. Any ideas to fix this??:banghead: "

But the dying could be the ballast, or coil, or even fuel who knows.

Nobody has mentioned the engine ground strap. But both symptoms sound like high electrical resistance, so both battery cables, the posts, the cables to the starter and relay, and the ground strap are suspects.

-
Back