273 style air cleaner base

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
I've seen some folks selling some air cleaner bases over the years that look stock but yet have the big throat for newer four barrels....where can person find these?

Thanks for your time.

There was a member in TX fabricating them. Iif I can remember who it was, I’ll post it. I bought one for my 273/235 as I will be using a large throat carb or FiTech/Sniper. Nice part!

I made an adapter to use on newer carbs. Before that Dad used a circular piece if sheet metal from duct work.

20230409_100354.jpg

Here is what I look for 53031547 assy. Then I cut and trim for the base, no extra holes very close to the original Command/Charger base, last picture.

P1010007.JPG

P1010013.JPG

For A Bodies Only 008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

For A Bodies Only 011.JPG

I found a craigslist used a/mkt air cleaner, I think $15. Tossed the top and kept the bottom. Fits my Eddy carb perfectly!

I found a craigslist used a/mkt air cleaner, I think $15. Tossed the top and kept the bottom. Fits my Eddy carb perfectly!
You found a 10" one or just put an aftermarket on regardless of what size the bottom and top other than they matched, I guess?

I'll post what I have this evening......the top isn't chrome like 273's it's just a black one...like I guess was on some 361/383 and \6's...I need the bottom for it. It's actually going on my 241 Hemi on a run stand at this second, and it's running a 2-barrel carb. I have no bottom at all, but if I'm going to buy a base for it then I would rather have a one for normal 4 barrels and just use one of those plastic adapters that I have laying around for now while it has the Stromberg carb on it. Just trying to use what I have laying around and kind of leaving it Mopar since that's what I have.

I'll post what I have this evening......the top isn't chrome like 273's it's just a black one...like I guess was on some 361/383 and \6's...I need the bottom for it. It's actually going on my 241 Hemi on a run stand at this second, and it's running a 2-barrel carb. I have no bottom at all, but if I'm going to buy a base for it then I would rather have a one for normal 4 barrels and just use one of those plastic adapters that I have laying around for now while it has the Stromberg carb on it. Just trying to use what I have laying around and kind of leaving it Mopar since that's what I have.
You need a base the same diameter as the air filter.

You found a 10" one or just put an aftermarket on regardless of what size the bottom and top other than they matched, I guess?
The Craigslist air cleaner I got was smaller than the original, measures 9” across. I got me a Wix 42055 which is slightly smaller in outside diameter (8 3/8” O.D.)and is slightly taller than the original (3 1/8” Tall). Not perfect but close enough to solve my problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah, there's the fancy way of doing it, and there's the easy, cheap way of doing it. No one can see the base when it's on the car anyway.

Just FYI, here's an original base for the hi-po 273 chrome air cleaner, also used with identical tops except for painted black instead of chrome on some early sixties 361 and 383 four barrel carbs.

1681502786085.jpeg

I haven't bothered to paint it because it doesn't show. I guess some day maybe I ought to. Used with early small-opening Carter four barrels. It takes a 10 inch diameter filter. Despite its small diameter, it is an unsilenced air cleaner and was considered high performance because it flows better than a single snorkel air cleaner assembly. For some reason the top was also used on some slant sixes, with, of course, a different base for one barrel carb. (Had a guy ask me at a show how air got to the carb without a snorkel. Had to take it off and turn it over so he could see.)

For the Edelbrock carb on my 56 Plymouth, I used a base from an aftermarket ten inch chrome air filter. The base actually measures 9 3/4 inches across, so a ten inch filter sits on top of the outer ridge instead of inside it, but that really doesn't matter as it doesn't show anyway.

1681503226922.jpeg

1681503281245.jpeg

Here's what a hi-po 273 air cleaner looks like with an aftermarket ten inch base under it (motor's the 277 poly in my 56 Plymouth, carb's a 500 Edlebrock).

1681503829733.png

The Craigslist air cleaner I got was smaller than the original, measures 9” across. I got me a Wix 42055 which is slightly smaller in outside diameter (8 3/8” O.D.)and is slightly taller than the original (3 1/8” Tall). Not perfect but close enough to solve my problem.

View attachment 1716077197

View attachment 1716077198

View attachment 1716077199

View attachment 1716077200
Thanks for the pictures it does look good.
Here is what I look for 53031547 assy. Then I cut and trim for the base, no extra holes very close to the original Command/Charger base, last picture.

View attachment 1716075492

View attachment 1716075493

View attachment 1716075494

View attachment 1716075496

View attachment 1716075497
Man...looks those are hard to find.

Yeah, there's the fancy way of doing it, and there's the easy, cheap way of doing it. No one can see the base when it's on the car anyway.

Just FYI, here's an original base for the hi-po 273 chrome air cleaner, also used with identical tops except for painted black instead of chrome on some early sixties 361 and 383 four barrel carbs.

View attachment 1716077755

I haven't bothered to paint it because it doesn't show. I guess some day maybe I ought to. Used with early small-opening Carter four barrels. It takes a 10 inch diameter filter. Despite its small diameter, it is an unsilenced air cleaner and was considered high performance because it flows better than a single snorkel air cleaner assembly. For some reason the top was also used on some slant sixes, with, of course, a different base for one barrel carb. (Had a guy ask me at a show how air got to the carb without a snorkel. Had to take it off and turn it over so he could see.)

For the Edelbrock carb on my 56 Plymouth, I used a base from an aftermarket ten inch chrome air filter. The base actually measures 9 3/4 inches across, so a ten inch filter sits on top of the outer ridge instead of inside it, but that really doesn't matter as it doesn't show anyway.

View attachment 1716077756

View attachment 1716077758
That looks like what I'm going to need to do.

Thanks for the pictures it does look good.

Man...looks those are hard to find.

They are not really that hard, they or similar air cleaners were on most EFI vans and pickup trucks. It is definitely more work, but they have no holes and use the 10" Commando/Charger air filter. They also have the opening for the Holley and later Carter/Edelbrock carbs. They are about the same hight as the original baseplate.

Last edited:
They are not really that hard, they or similar air cleaners were on most EFI vans and pickup trucks. It is definitely more work, but they have no holes and use the 10" Commando/Charger air filter. They also have the opening for the Holley and later Carter/Edelbrock carbs. They are about the same hight as the original baseplate.
I just tried searching eBay and the net and came up with nothing....I'd do that in a heart beat if I could find one....doing the work to make it work wouldn't be a problem either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried searching eBay and the net and came up with nothing....I'd do that in a heart beat if I could find one....doing the work to make it work wouldn't be a problem either.
I'll look next time I'm at a yard. You'll go crazy looking for MOPAR air cleaners on eBay.

-
Back