273 style air cleaner base

-
Been doing 273 4 barrel cars for over 20 years. Aftermarket bases is they way to go if running an Edelbrock or a Carter.

Yeah, there's the fancy way of doing it, and there's the easy, cheap way of doing it. No one can see the base when it's on the car anyway.

Just FYI, here's an original base for the hi-po 273 chrome air cleaner, also used with identical tops except for painted black instead of chrome on some early sixties 361 and 383 four barrel carbs.

View attachment 1716077755

I haven't bothered to paint it because it doesn't show. I guess some day maybe I ought to. Used with early small-opening Carter four barrels. It takes a 10 inch diameter filter. Despite its small diameter, it is an unsilenced air cleaner and was considered high performance because it flows better than a single snorkel air cleaner assembly. For some reason the top was also used on some slant sixes, with, of course, a different base for one barrel carb. (Had a guy ask me at a show how air got to the carb without a snorkel. Had to take it off and turn it over so he could see.)

For the Edelbrock carb on my 56 Plymouth, I used a base from an aftermarket ten inch chrome air filter. The base actually measures 9 3/4 inches across, so a ten inch filter sits on top of the outer ridge instead of inside it, but that really doesn't matter as it doesn't show anyway.

View attachment 1716077756

View attachment 1716077758
Exactly what I did.

Just came in today

20230424_161546.jpg

-
Back