273 to 440 suspension?

-

logger 73

Reaction score
I'm new to Mopars. I have a 67 Cuda Fastback that came stock with the 273 and I'm installing a 440. Using for daily driver and wondering if I need to do anything to the front suspension to make it handle on the street good. Thanks for any help.

If you use aluminum heads, waterpump, intake, ministarter and headers you wont gain much.

Makes sense to save the weight and gain the power at the same time instead of adding even more weight by doing suspension mods. Thanks

Even with the weight savings of aluminum parts you'll want to upgrade the torsion bars. They're over 40 years old, they've done their time, and they were too small to begin with even for the 273.

A set of 1" bars from Just Suspension will only set you back about $200, and be well worth it in the handling department. Anything in the 1" to 1.06" range would be a huge improvement on the street. I had a set of the 1" JS bars on my Duster with a 318 in it, very nice ride, not stiff at all but much better than stockers. In fact, it rode so nice I bought a set of 1.12" bars from Firm Feel to go in with the 340 so it will really carve some corners.

You"ll also want to upgrade your brakes to disks if they aren't already, and add a set of subframe connectors. Sway bars would be good to help it handle better too, but I'd do torsion bars, brakes and connectors first.

-
Back