273 to carbed magnum ????

-

blackdart66

Reaction score
Got a great deal on a 5.9 going and have a few questions....Car is an early A, 66 dart.

1) will the "front" of my 273 all bolt on the magnum ? Timing cover, pulley's etc. I am pretty sure I have to use the magnum balancer.

2) If thats a yes will the oil pan off the 273 work with the magnum engine and the 273 timing cover ?

3) Spit fires will work fine on the magnum heads ? They are already on my 273

I am just starting to put the list together......any other pit falls ? I am aware that I'll need the cam extension for the mechanical fuel pump, the right flex plate and converter and of course the intake and carb. I am also assuming my current ignition system will work......Thanks all !!

I did the same swap in a 65 belvedere. The 273timing cover will work . Use the magnum balancer. You will need a la 360 oil pan and use the magnum oil pan gasket with the front part cut off and a la 360 gasket rubber for the front partof the gasket. I used tti headers and a b&m flex plate. LA dist. will work but timming mark reference won't work just use a vac. guage and/or ajusting timming till spark knock eliminated. Factory magnum cam has no provision for a fuelpump eccentric. There may be an adapter available, I used a MP camshaft.

-
Back