273 to Slant Six Conversion?

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a '66 GT that I'm looking to swap out the factory 273 with a 60-70's 225. I know you can convert the slant six k member to a small block but how does it work in the reverse order?

So far, I've only planned on getting the slant six and matching 904 and a different radiator. Ideally I'll find one with an etire k frame. Would that pretty much be all that I need to swap?

The car has power steering but I'm giong to change that over to a manual box at the same time.

The end game is to boost the slant six so I'm not totally crazy!

Thanks all!

Hey All,

I've got a '66 GT that I'm looking to swap out the factory 273 with a 60-70's 225. I know you can convert the slant six k member to a small block but how does it work in the reverse order?

So far, I've only planned on getting the slant six and matching 904 and a different radiator. Ideally I'll find one with an etire k frame. Would that pretty much be all that I need to swap?

The car has power steering but I'm giong to change that over to a manual box at the same time.

The end game is to boost the slant six so I'm not totally crazy!

Thanks all!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Seems to me the easy thing to do would be to get a K-member out of a slant 6 car, and you'd probably be "home free."

A slant 6 is somewhat lighter than a V8, and that will improve the balance of the car. You'lll enjoy easier steering, which will be appreciated, since you're going "non-assisted."

I'd like to take this opportunity to congartulate you on your clear-headed thinking regarding your decision to go with a boosted /6.

The advantages are many, but you probably already are aware of that, since nobody's having to talk you into this. For the street, particularly, I feel it's a smart choice. The turbo /6s LIKE rear axle ratios in the 2's, with a 2.76 working really well for some pretty fast drag /6 cars. That means ONE rear gear for both the drag strip and the highway. THAT means, you are not married to an expensive 8.75" A body rear end; an 8.25" out of any junkyard Volare or Aspen (or Duster/Demon) will be a bolt in... for a LOT less money than the requisite drop-out 8.75 that will fit your A-body.

A modified (welded-on turbo flange) stock /6 exhaust manifold will be a LOT cheaper than a set of TTI headers (for a normally-aspirated V8,) and the engine will likely be quiet enough as to not even NEED a muffler... more money saved.

Turbo engines (at east street-friendly versions) like cams with minimal duration, much like a stock cam, so driveability and fuel economy is excellent; radical cams in V8's that make good power, don't usually have a very good idle, and low end torque is in short supply. Around-town driveability suffers... as does fuel economy.

A stock torque converter is usually a good match for the flat torque curve of a turbo /6; hi-po, radical-cammed V8s need more stall speed, to make use of their high rpm potential. More money saved...

The useful (performance) rpm spread of a turbo'd /6, pretty much seems to end about 5,500 rpm, so the 7,200 rpm stresses that the hi-po V8s see, just aren't there. RPM's are an engine killer, not cylinder pressure....

Building a turbo /6 isn't cheap. It can be FAIRLY cheap, if you want to forego the detonation protection that forged pistons and rods afford you, but if you choose to run stock (cast) pistons, you'll be limiting yourself to boost that is in the less-than-10-pound range, if you want your engine to live a long, healthy life... That will give you a high 13-second car, which isn't slow, by any means. My advice is to rob a liquor store (just kidding) or take a second job for long ehough to be able to afford a set of Wiseco forged pistons and K-1 forged rods, and sleep secure in the knowledge that you now have at least, a modicum of detonation protection.

That will also give you the option of running 15-20 pounds of boost, once you get things sorted out. Boost is addictive...:D

If this is just going to be a fun "street" car, the forged stuff probably isn't necessary... but, is nice if you can swing it. Ditto, the intercooler.

Expenses will be:
a properly-sized turbo
a properly-sized waste gate
cold side plumbing
an intercooler
a water/meth injector
a blowoff valve
a cam (although a stock cam works pretty good...)
a blow-thru carb (modified circuits for boost)
a new fuel system (3/8")
electric fuel pump
boost-oriented pressure regulator
Modified distributor advance curve
Boost gauge

I said it woudn't be cheap... and, it's not, but neither is a well-built small block V8 that would keep up with this boosted /6....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...:cheers:

Hope this helps...

The early a body k frame { 66 and earlier } is the same for S6 and V8 , the engine mounts are different though :sign7:

Slickchick is correct. K-frame's the same through '66, slant-6 or V8, so all you need is the '62-'66 slant-6 engine mount brackets, and a pair of these. The radiator needs the bottom hose connection on the passenger side. You'll have some adaptation to do on the engine wiring harness (extend a few wires). Can't think of anything major other than that, it's an easy swap.

Slickchick is correct. K-frame's the same through '66, slant-6 or V8, so all you need is the '62-'66 slant-6 engine mount brackets, and a pair of these. The radiator needs the bottom hose connection on the passenger side. You'll have some adaptation to do on the engine wiring harness (extend a few wires). Can't think of anything major other than that, it's an easy swap.

Hey dan, i'm loooking to get an iron block s6 (60's to early 70's i suppose) do you know if the early k-frame and s6 mounts will work with the variety of year available?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Seems to me the easy thing to do would be to get a K-member out of a slant 6 car, and you'd probably be "home free."

A slant 6 is somewhat lighter than a V8, and that will improve the balance of the car. You'lll enjoy easier steering, which will be appreciated, since you're going "non-assisted."

I'd like to take this opportunity to congartulate you on your clear-headed thinking regarding your decision to go with a boosted /6.

The advantages are many, but you probably already are aware of that, since nobody's having to talk you into this. For the street, particularly, I feel it's a smart choice. The turbo /6s LIKE rear axle ratios in the 2's, with a 2.76 working really well for some pretty fast drag /6 cars. That means ONE rear gear for both the drag strip and the highway. THAT means, you are not married to an expensive 8.75" A body rear end; an 8.25" out of any junkyard Volare or Aspen (or Duster/Demon) will be a bolt in... for a LOT less money than the requisite drop-out 8.75 that will fit your A-body.

A modified (welded-on turbo flange) stock /6 exhaust manifold will be a LOT cheaper than a set of TTI headers (for a normally-aspirated V8,) and the engine will likely be quiet enough as to not even NEED a muffler... more money saved.

Turbo engines (at east street-friendly versions) like cams with minimal duration, much like a stock cam, so driveability and fuel economy is excellent; radical cams in V8's that make good power, don't usually have a very good idle, and low end torque is in short supply. Around-town driveability suffers... as does fuel economy.

A stock torque converter is usually a good match for the flat torque curve of a turbo /6; hi-po, radical-cammed V8s need more stall speed, to make use of their high rpm potential. More money saved...

The useful (performance) rpm spread of a turbo'd /6, pretty much seems to end about 5,500 rpm, so the 7,200 rpm stresses that the hi-po V8s see, just aren't there. RPM's are an engine killer, not cylinder pressure....

Building a turbo /6 isn't cheap. It can be FAIRLY cheap, if you want to forego the detonation protection that forged pistons and rods afford you, but if you choose to run stock (cast) pistons, you'll be limiting yourself to boost that is in the less-than-10-pound range, if you want your engine to live a long, healthy life... That will give you a high 13-second car, which isn't slow, by any means. My advice is to rob a liquor store (just kidding) or take a second job for long ehough to be able to afford a set of Wiseco forged pistons and K-1 forged rods, and sleep secure in the knowledge that you now have at least, a modicum of detonation protection.

That will also give you the option of running 15-20 pounds of boost, once you get things sorted out. Boost is addictive...:D

If this is just going to be a fun "street" car, the forged stuff probably isn't necessary... but, is nice if you can swing it. Ditto, the intercooler.

Expenses will be:
a properly-sized turbo
a properly-sized waste gate
cold side plumbing
an intercooler
a water/meth injector
a blowoff valve
a cam (although a stock cam works pretty good...)
a blow-thru carb (modified circuits for boost)
a new fuel system (3/8")
electric fuel pump
boost-oriented pressure regulator
Modified distributor advance curve
Boost gauge

I said it woudn't be cheap... and, it's not, but neither is a well-built small block V8 that would keep up with this boosted /6....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...:cheers:

Hope this helps...

thanks for the info bill. i agree on all points. i've plenty of experience with turbos and i'm a total fan, just no experience on old school engines like the s6. but i'm not afraid to break something :D

quick question - when you're talking about the fuel line at 3/8 is that id or od? i know the bigger factory line is 3/8 od. i have a 5/16 od line now but a lot of folks are talking about -6 or -8 lines (and return line) which seems like total overkill for a sub 500whp setup. what are your thoughts?

Hey dan, i'm loooking to get an iron block s6 (60's to early 70's i suppose) do you know if the early k-frame and s6 mounts will work with the variety of year available?

All slant-6s have the same mount points and bellhousing pattern. All you need for a proper fit is the left and right mount brackets and the oil pan and pickup appropriate to the K-frame you're using. In your case, you'd need '62-'66 A-body engine mount brackets and a '62-'66 A-body oil pan and pickup.

All slant-6s have the same mount points and bellhousing pattern. All you need for a proper fit is the left and right mount brackets and the oil pan and pickup appropriate to the K-frame you're using. In your case, you'd need '62-'66 A-body engine mount brackets and a '62-'66 A-body oil pan and pickup.

Sweet thanks!

what about the throttle bracket/cable situation? i'm probably going to be using a offy 4bbl and o know they offer a bracket kit - will that be the ticket?

I haven't looked at the Offy linkage bracket setup, but your V8 car will already have a cable-type accelerator setup. You may be able to adapt the existing V8 kickdown linkage, or see this thread for kickdown options.

Good news for slant-6 buildups is that you don't need to gamble with Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

what about the throttle bracket/cable situation? i'm probably going to be using a offy 4bbl and o know they offer a bracket kit - will that be the ticket?

Since you're swapping from a factory V8 to the slant, you're fortunate to already have the correct gas pedal and throttle bracket that's already bolted to the firewall. Other than a longer throttle cable to reach the 4 barrel, you should be good to go. Think someone mentioned a later 6 cable worked well.

quick question - when you're talking about the fuel line at 3/8 is that id or od? i know the bigger factory line is 3/8 od. i have a 5/16 od line now but a lot of folks are talking about -6 or -8 lines (and return line) which seems like total overkill for a sub 500whp setup. what are your thoughts?

To tell you the truth, I don't know.... probably inside diameter, but it's the same as the A-N -6 line/fittings, I believe.

My thinking was this: I wanted to run half-inch line until we bought our Walbro pump, which (ostensibly) puts out 51-pounds of fuel pressure. With that much pressure, I think a 3/8ths line is plenty big for 500 hp.

If the make more than that, the sun will rise in the West that morning...

quick question - when you're talking about the fuel line at 3/8 is that id or od?

ID. Stock standard is 5/16" (ID). There were no factory 3/8" (ID) fuel lines, but you can buy fuel gauge senders set up for 3/8" (ID) fuel lines, which -- yes, you're correct -- are completely unneeded on most vehicles.

Sweet, so I found a '71 s6 and tranny. I found early A s6 engine mounts on eBay for $45 bucks - does that seem too cheap? I would like a good mount because I'm going to put down good power :)

Sweet, so I found a '71 s6 and tranny.

That'll be fine. Should even be able to keep the existing driveshaft.

I found early A s6 engine mounts on eBay for $45 bucks - does that seem too cheap?

Seems too costly; all you need is the brackets that bolt to the engine block. The insulators, you should get via the link I gave above (polyurethane positive-lock items, better than the plain rubber stockers and WAY better than the compressed cow poo coming in from India or compressed unwanted baby girls from China).

Slantsixdan gives great advice. Your existing 5/16" fuel line is fine. The factory put it in my Newport 383. Most of Holley's Pro-jection fuel pumps are 5/16", even for the biggest 900 cfm models I recall. Ditto for the external fuel pumps on 1990's Ford V-8's. If you ever need a return line (fuel injection or vapor return), you can use your existing line for that and run a new 3/8" supply. I ran 3/8" supply on my 273 Dart, but mainly because the Corvette-style filter/reg I used is 3/8".

The throttle cable needed will depend upon your manifold and how you orient the 4-barrel carb. Most people turn it sideways (rel. to a V-8 ) so the primaries are closest to the engine. Your existing V-8 cable will surely be too short. Mine is only ~8" long from the firewall. The orientation of your carb depends on your intake (dual plane, dual port, open plenum). You can read many opinions and solutions on www.slantsix.org. I ran across them last night while investigating a Holley 4360 carb I have. If you can anchor the throttle cable housing so the cable points straight at the carb attachment point, you could just use a wire extender. I did that on my 273 for a funky carb setup where it wouldn't reach. I made a short anchor plate out of aluminum channel to clamp the cable housing.

-
Back