291 hemi useable/serviceable?

-

YY1

Reaction score
There are a couple of relatively inexpensive 1955 291's near me.

Are they worth getting, if the price is right?

Any interchange with anything else, such as trans, etc?

Rusty?

Anyone else?

A '55 291 would be a DeSoto hemi.

They are definitely worth getting if the price is right, I think typically cores go between $500-$1k depending on condition and extras (like a 4 barrel manifold). I picked up the couple that I have for around $500 on average.

The DeSoto's don't have quite as much aftermarket as the Chrysler hemi's (331/354/392) but the market is definitely coming around. The nice thing about the Desoto's is that they are all "short bell" blocks. That means that they will exchange transmissions with all of the other hemi's and poly's out there (except the problematic long bell early 331's). It also means all of the transmission adaptors for a 392 hemi will fit the DeSoto, so transmissions are easy.

The DeSoto's also have standard engine mounts on the side, unlike some of the front mount Dodge's. And they're a little smaller dimensionally than the Chrysler's, making them easier to fit into hot rod projects.

They are definitely worth getting if the price is right, I think typically cores go between $500-$1k depending on condition and extras (like a 4 barrel manifold). I picked up the couple that I have for around $500 on average.

The DeSoto's don't have quite as much aftermarket as the Chrysler hemi's (331/354/392) but market is definitely coming around. The nice thing about the Desoto's is that they are all "short bell" blocks. That means that they will exchange transmissions with all of the other hemi's and poly's out there (except the problematic long bell early 331's). It also means all of the transmission adaptors for a 392 hemi will fit the DeSoto, so transmissions are easy.

The DeSoto's also have standard engine mounts on the side, unlike some of the front mount Dodge's. And they're a little smaller dimensionally than the Chrysler's, making them easier to fit into hot rod projects.

:cool:

And this is why I keep coming back to this forum!
Great post...

The DeSoto's don't have quite as much aftermarket as the Chrysler hemi's (331/354/392) but the market is definitely coming around. The nice thing about the Desoto's is that they are all "short bell" blocks. That means that they will exchange transmissions with all of the other hemi's and poly's out there (except the problematic long bell early 331's). It also means all of the transmission adaptors for a 392 hemi will fit the DeSoto, so transmissions are easy.

Poly bell bolt pattern? Maybe a 273-318LA-340-360 bellhousing would bolt up as well? :angel5:

Already found that site, but thanks.

Yes, Bob Walker, the owner of Hot Heads is your guy. He can tell you all about them. The Desotos are good engines. I would get them both if you can. The smaller cubic inches is not as much of a handicap as would be with a non Hemi engine simply because of the heads. You can get well over 300 HP without a problem. Oregon Cams can regrind the stock cam core to one of many grinds they have for 75 bucks. That's who did mine and they did a real nice job. Just look through the Hot Heads site at what all is available. They also have a Hemi book that tells all about them and what all interchanges.

Actually they're complete cars. One has a title, one does not.

$1500 for both.

Who doesn't want a hemi?

Poly bell bolt pattern? Maybe a 273-318LA-340-360 bellhousing would bolt up as well? :angel5:

Exactly, nope.

The diameter of the bell is the same, but the bolt pattern is different. And there isn't enough meat on the block there to drill new holes for the different pattern.

The adapters are pretty simple though, and are available from a few different sources now for just about every transmission you'd want to run, from 833's to 700R4's and everything in between. I believe Quicktime also makes some bellhousing's for the hemi application and more popular transmissions now.

Yes, Bob Walker, the owner of Hot Heads is your guy. He can tell you all about them. The Desotos are good engines. I would get them both if you can. The smaller cubic inches is not as much of a handicap as would be with a non Hemi engine simply because of the heads. You can get well over 300 HP without a problem. Oregon Cams can regrind the stock cam core to one of many grinds they have for 75 bucks. That's who did mine and they did a real nice job. Just look through the Hot Heads site at what all is available. They also have a Hemi book that tells all about them and what all interchanges.

Bob is a good source of info, and the Hemi book is a decent start, but the book especially has more than a few inaccuracies, some are pretty blatant.

The HAMB is probably the best source of info by far, although there's a lot to sort through. The Hemi Tech index is a great place to start if you have some time. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118764

The DeSoto's are great engines, I actually think they're more useful than the Chrysler's. Sure, you can't beat a 392 when it comes to break-neck horsepower, but for driving around on the street the DeSoto's are spectacular. As Rusty pointed out, a 291 is easily capable of 300 hp, and that's a pretty mild build. Just raise the compression up to around 9.5:1 and have the cam reground and you're there. No porting or anything fancy needed, just a little compression and cam.

This 291 made 374hp at 6600rpm, but it has DeSoto 330 heads, 10.5:1 compression, and a HUGE cam for a hemi. And really bitchin weiand 4x2. I just may have one of those. :wink: Buggers are hard to find. :D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601899

[ame]http://youtu.be/ecByN0N8Tww[/ame]

-
Back