2JZ VVT engine swap in an Early A Body?

-
There’s a company:

Mopar K-Members | Mopar A-Body, B-Body & E-Body K-Member | QA1 Suspension Components

That does the torsion bar removal k frame mounts to go to struts and springs. Not a bad price at 850 shipped. I already am aware of the few issues that one would come across such as stopping and ride height. The little 7 1/4 would last about 5 minutes with how I want to drive it. And add 400-500 hp engine to that and I’m betting about the fifth time it hits the rev limiter will be about the time it explodes. I’ve looked and looked all over for different ideas, even the infamous RB26DETT from a skyline but the bottom end needs beefed up at about 500hp range. Now if I could find an old Chrysler hemi.... I’d go that route. One with the Chrysler power on the valve covers

Except for the lack of aftermarket support, I've always wondered why nobody uses the 239 pre magnum and magnum engines in place of slant six builds even though it would take some mount to K-frame fabrication. I once had an 1989 pre magnum six in a very porky W150 long wheelbase 4X4 and it was way ahead on torque at any point from idle on compared to any slant I've owned. A set of cheap small block truck 318 headers with a tube cut off of each side worked very well, and MP offered a manifold at one time. The cam would have to be sent for a regrind, though, as all where rollers. If one got brave and creative, taking a combustion chamber off the ends of a set of aluminum small block heads would be doable... There would be plenty of room for turbos with a v-6 in place in an a body though.

I have a 87 dakota 239 engine. Thought about this a lot. IMO ignition is the big problem to overcome. The odd fire distributor.....
Mopar at one time made a replacement electronic ignition kit..... But has not been available for years....
I thought you may be able to use the stock hall effect distributor and then use something like the holley sniper kit Holley Sniper 2-bbl EFI Self-Tuning Kits & Accessories | JEGS
The saving of space, as you pointed out would be nice, especially for turbos..... But, I believe you will be limited to a stock crankshaft at best. (cast) Probably could use 318 forged pistons, rods, etc.
At the end of the day, you at best, are going to have 3/4 the power of a 318.
For me, its just not worth it, I plan to go with a carbed, 5.9 magnum.....
But if you go with it, I sure do look forward to seeing pictures and reading about it..... No doubt, it would be cool to see, and its not always about the most power..

my buddy dave and I built the 2jz scamp. it was a cool project! the engine/trans/harness/ecu came from japan, shipped to daves door for 2500. the engine only had 30k miles on it. if you are on facebook, check out "scrapyard scamp" you can see the entire project. Scrapyard Scamp

my buddy dave and I built the 2jz scamp. it was a cool project! the engine/trans/harness/ecu came from japan, shipped to daves door for 2500. the engine only had 30k miles on it. if you are on facebook, check out "scrapyard scamp" you can see the entire project. Scrapyard Scamp
I’ve seen that one! Is it the one on YouTube? That was the other that I found

you posted 2 pics of it lol.
Then you guys are the ones I really really want to talk too. The one guy with a four door gave me some info. But you guys are the ones I really want to chat with about the mounts and how you guys were able to plumb the intercooler. Do you happen to have pics of the mounts?

You guys are my hero’s. That swap was pretty clean imo. Was it this car?

Feathers Ruffled: The 2JZ Mopar - Speedhunters

Edit: I checked your profile pic....and there it sits..... insert Wayne’s World cut shot......
I am not worthy!!! I am not worthy!

8123D770-C0DA-4EB9-A1C8-42EE5FDEE6DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in the process of installing the 2jzgte into my duster, motor and trans are mounted and i’m in the process of wiring in the computer and It should be running by the end of march. I wanted to turbo my car and to me the ls swap seemed like the obvious choice all aluminum and they like to make nice horsepower. But the more I looked into it it’s a overly popular swap in my opinion. So I continued to search for somthing different and I came across superdv’s build and after looking over his build and doing some research on line I was sold on the 2j swap that motor is pretty much an over engineered and it is more than capable of making 1000 hp on the street if you wanted that much. If I were you I wouldn’t hesitate at all about dropping one into you car I doubt that you will regret it. If anyone complains just tell them its hotrodding. I hope you do it and happy hotrodding

If I ever come across that garbage the owner better hope I'm not I'm my plow truck because if I am I'm putting it out of its misery

I’m in the process of installing the 2jzgte into my duster, motor and trans are mounted and i’m in the process of wiring in the computer and It should be running by the end of march. I wanted to turbo my car and to me the ls swap seemed like the obvious choice all aluminum and they like to make nice horsepower. But the more I looked into it it’s a overly popular swap in my opinion. So I continued to search for somthing different and I came across superdv’s build and after looking over his build and doing some research on line I was sold on the 2j swap that motor is pretty much an over engineered and it is more than capable of making 1000 hp on the street if you wanted that much. If I were you I wouldn’t hesitate at all about dropping one into you car I doubt that you will regret it. If anyone complains just tell them its hotrodding. I hope you do it and happy hotrodding
How did you set up the motor mounts? That’s basically the one thing I’ll be missing but I’m super excited to do this swap

I'd dig the swap. I debated doing a 1JZ or 2JZ in my Dart. I believe someone here put an RB25DET in a '67 Barracuda. The only thing that put me off with those swaps is the weight of those straight 6's. They're as heavy as a small block.

I'd dig the swap. I debated doing a 1JZ or 2JZ in my Dart. I believe someone here put an RB25DET in a '67 Barracuda. The only thing that put me off with those swaps is the weight of those straight 6's. They're as heavy as a small block.
And those rbs if you don’t get the correct stamping they crack between 4-5 on the wall. Doesn’t hurt anything but I’m not paying another grand for a special block. That immediately turned me off of the rbs. Great engine....but the castings determines how hard you can go and at 500 you have no choice but to crack that bottom end open and start upgrading things..... I want plug and boost and go

How did you set up the motor mounts? That’s basically the one thing I’ll be missing but I’m super excited to do this swap

Deemo I will take a couple of pictures later today or tomarrow when i’m feeling better (caught a cold and feel like crap). The only thing is I have a hemidenny kframe as opposed to the stock k frame but it should still be easy to do withe a little fabrication.

What a douche bag, you obviously don’t know a thing about hotrodding.

I'm all for hotrodding
Equipping an American car with an engine build by the same people who suckerpunched us at pearl harbor is something else entirely

It shouldn’t matter where it came from. Would it be different if I stuck a Porsche engine in? Or a SaAb? Volkswagen?

It shouldn’t matter where it came from. Would it be different if I stuck a Porsche engine in? Or a SaAb? Volkswagen?

Kinda...i could appreciate a German engine
And a Swedish engine would be interesting

Kinda...i could appreciate a German engine
And a Swedish engine would be interesting
Hey, trust me if I could afford a nice v10-12 Italian or and AMG...... it’s be getting shoved into the bay as fast as I could get the welder ready! Reminds me of one of my fav pics on the net.....only a valiant....asking the owner “hey dude..... you’re gonna put that where?” All I can say is if it fits by all means. Do it. Although, wonder how the lambo guys would feel about one of their precious engines being shoved into a small Mopar? I bet those guys would go nuts

I'm all for hotrodding
Equipping an American car with an engine build by the same people who suckerpunched us at pearl harbor is something else entirely

So does dealing with japanese made stuff only apply to hotrodding and cars but buying televisions stereos and all other household eletric and electronic appliances okay, afterall they sucker punched us at pearl harbor. And whats up with hondahp@redline all about under your picture of the american flag

Not interested in Turbo's or supercharging. If you want a Lexus, Toyota or Chevy buy one. I like my early A just fine as it is. It will still be fast for the next 50 years. Toyota or LS, not so much...

Except for the lack of aftermarket support, I've always wondered why nobody uses the 239 pre magnum and magnum engines in place of slant six builds even though it would take some mount to K-frame fabrication. I once had an 1989 pre magnum six in a very porky W150 long wheelbase 4X4 and it was way ahead on torque at any point from idle on compared to any slant I've owned. A set of cheap small block truck 318 headers with a tube cut off of each side worked very well, and MP offered a manifold at one time. The cam would have to be sent for a regrind, though, as all where rollers. If one got brave and creative, taking a combustion chamber off the ends of a set of aluminum small block heads would be doable... There would be plenty of room for turbos with a v-6 in place in an a body though.
Cuz they were cobbled V6 motors with so much counterbalance needed that they almost needed a torque convertor to mellow the power pulses. If you wanna build a V6, build a newer Charger V6 mill. Way more refined.

So does dealing with japanese made stuff only apply to hotrodding and cars but buying televisions stereos and all other household eletric and electronic appliances okay, afterall they sucker punched us at pearl harbor. And whats up with hondahp@redline all about under your picture of the american flag

If you could boycott them across the board, that would be great, but I understand parts are subbed out to the lowest bidder and come from all over the place, so it might not be feasible
But, not putting an entire engine they build in your mopar, that you can do

As for the writing on my avatar, I'm not sure why your only seeing half
The whole thing reads : horsepower@idle > hondaHP@redline
(Claiming my mopar makes more power idling then a Honda does at redline)

But, to be clear, most of this is just hyperbole
I don't mind if you stick a YZ engine in there, but it just isn't anything I'd stop and look at...i just don't car for that kind of crosspolination

As I don’t mind everyone is entitled to their opinions, fact stating and whatnot. I’ve seen monster engines, to holy cow that a garbage build. @pishta yes I will be deleting everything off the engine that has Toyota on it.

Thread I created here was to get opinions from anyone, no matter how salty or rude. Just wanted a feel for how things would be at Mopar shows. And if anyone out there had even seen one or done it. I need the info, and opinions. Yes it will be my car I do this too, and it will be a clean install. I value everyone’s ideas and opinions. No shame in being honest. I have already started the ball in motion and will document the whole process in and out from wiring to install to how I found the donor engine and broker to ship it.

-
Back