3 gauge cluster placement

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1970 Dart GT. I want to add 3 gauges in a cluster. Problem is that this car has both a console and AC vents that seem like they will take up the usual location. Any suggestions for placement??? or a picture of where you mounted your gauges ???

If you have a plan of what you want, I have walnut, oak, and other woods I can make you an under dash wood gauge face panel for your basic gauges. If you're interested, let me know. I'm not looking to take your money. This forum has been good to me, and I like to return the favor. Plus I'm close to you. If you can design something, I'll take a look. I'm not an expert, but I do pretty good. Paul.

Last edited:
Even those who build custom inst' panels tend to place instruments too far to the right. You'll look away from the road to see them. In my opinion, on the a-pillar is the best place for them.
gauges on a-pillar - Google Search

Well, if the under dash real estate is too crowded, and you're not looking to do a custom dash insert; you basically have three options:
1.) A pillar
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHOrm82mhL3o5uGa3zRMBw6KJkX4xEdht28w&usqp=CAU.jpg

2.) Dash top or face
s?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHC75ojxuu-CQ3-hBimPqE6DGMSl-pUuOZcIsfwAkZS38jBvSXvabGmzN39OjXyYbMNI2_8XM&usqp=CAc.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSki48iRfA-ZyxwXX_C6CaYUtO9wMysEbazsg&usqp=CAU.jpg

3.) Overhead
OIP.4ahr3fgUZ2tiNhOCZxuyDwHaFk?w=281&h=211&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Googling any of the above will give you more pictures and styles than you'll know what to do with! My personal preference would be dash top; A-pillar looks too boy racer to me, and overhead just feels awkward and can interfere with mirror placement. But they are options- ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

A nice version of dash top IMO is the 65/66 Shelby mustang pod I wonder if A bodies have any type of modded dash pad like that.

My '71 Dart GT also has a console & the under dash A/C vents. I was able to mount an AutoMeter (Z-Series) 2 1/8" electric 3 gauge panel to the underside of the A/C vents.

-
Back