3" inboard wheel backspacing

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Going to be doing the 3" inboard kit this winter and I would like to start looking for a used set of wheels.

Q. What backspacing do I need with a 15x10 with a stock 8 3/4 for my 1969 dart?

I plan on running the MT 325/50/15 et street

would a 7" work there is a used pair of welds for sale for 100 bucks?

It moves the rear springs in to the frame rails to give you 3" of extr tire room.

I dont think a 7" backspacing will work.

I dont think there are any companies out there making a 15x10 with 7.5 inches of backspacing in big bolt pattern ( im assuming thats what your running?)

Weld Draglites come in 15X10 with a 7.5" backspacing which is why you see so many Darts with them. You can also get Centerline autodrags with a 7.25" backspacing in 15X9 and 15X10.5

what if you wanted to run a wheel with 6.5 backspacing with the same setup....what is the max size tire you could fit?

does anybody know for sure what backspacing is needed for this tire size? cudaspaz, are you running this tire size in your car?

Running a smaller tire wont really help much. The wrong backspacing is going to put the sidewall right in to your 1/4 panel. Darts are much more un forgiving then Dusters, Demons and Barracudas I think Cudaspaz is running a 28X13.5 ET Street.

I dont understand how a smaller tire (as in width) wouldnt help? wouldnt a smaller tire mean that you would have to run less backspacing on the wheel for the combination to fit? or even best run a smaller rim width for that smaller tire? im kinda confused

Going from a 7.5 to a 6.5 moves the outer lip away from your mounting face by 1". That 6.5" would work if you were to use a 8" wide rim.

Best thing to do is use a plumb bob on the three points mentioned in the BBD write up, inner, outer and mounting face. Get your wheel centered in the well using those three points. Don't be surprised to find one well is not the same width as the other... BTDT My mini tubbed car has 15.25 width on one side and 15 on the other. Yeah they built it real square.

hey guys thanks...ive read that link before, but obviously not well enough...just wasnt thinking i guess...i understand what you guys mean now...thanks

I'm running 29x12.5 15LT Sportsman Pro's.

The wheels are 15x10 with a 7.5 inch backspacing, but the sidewalls are 12.5" if I were to put a straight edge on each sidewall and measure from each point.

I have a few pics of the space between the spring to tire, and wheel lip to tire.
I also have the forward portion of the wheel opening moved forward 1.5 inches.
This keeps the rear tires from crowding the front portion of the wheel opening and rubbing.

DSCN3775.jpg

wheels1.jpg

This pic was taken before I installed the 1.5" lowering blocks on the springs.

cuda1-1.jpg

cudaspaz,

what type of rear end are using? and what brake setup? and how much clearance do you have between spring and tire? is it 1 inch just like between the tire to the outer lip?

im runing a 5.5 backspaced weld drag lite on my 69 dart but i had the rear narrowed,7.5 is the right backspacing on a stock lenght rear.

cudaspaz,

what type of rear end are using? and what brake setup? and how much clearance do you have between spring and tire? is it 1 inch just like between the tire to the outer lip?

The rear is a 742 case sure grip with 3.23 gears, the brakes are ssbc disk brakes, and the inner sidewall to spring is about 1/4" with zero issues.

I have the low trans first gear in my A-833 trans so the 3.23's feel like enough gear during take off.

Would I love a dana-60 rear? oh yeah, and if I swap the brakes over, the brakes will bolt right to the dana axle tubes with no mods needed.

I really need to get a better pic of the tire/spring clearance.
Maybe that will be my project for the day.

I hope I don't hurt myself or get short of breath.

I have 12 inch wheels on my duster with 7.5 B.S. Tires are 29 14.5's . The axles and brake are big bolt. I would say on a Dart 10 inch with 7.5 back space. Darts have a narrower body at the wheel well lips.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 359.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 250
  • spoiler pics 358.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 058.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 271
I ended up going with this wheel
pacer_521p_5bolt_386.gif

15x8 +27 with a P275/60R15 Had to run a 1/2" spacer to make it work. Helped to make the 3" wheel studs not stick out? hahaha

5 years wow

-
Back