3 on the tree issues

-

ssennett

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a proud new owner of a 1966 valiant with a 3 speed manual and a 225. I am having issues with the linkage in this car. It keeps getting stuck in first gear. I have ordered an original service manual for this car, and in the mean time I am looking for information on the linkage and maybe bushings and what not. I can get it out of first with some help from someone in the car (I.E. My Wife) who is not at all happy when this happens and gives me the you paid how much for this car? This just started happening recently, it drove fine for the first month or so. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shawn

VERY common problem with old column shifts. This can be a combination of worn/ sagging/ broken engine mounts, adjustment, wear in the bushings, pivots, and linkage in general, and of course there can be wear right up in the column mechanism itself. In rare cases, you might have a problem in the transmission shift linkage, which has detents that is supposed to lock out 1/r when going into 2/3

One thing you might try, to "get by" is to make an effort to carefully pull the lever into neutral, a separate effort to move in "the gate" rather than sort of an "angled speed shift"

This has been a problem since the invention of column shifts, LOL.

Most common problem that causes that is linkage misalignment.
(not quite out of one gear all the way while trying to go into the next.)
Probably a linkage adjustment will take care of it.

VERY common problem with old column shifts. This can be a combination of worn/ sagging/ broken engine mounts, adjustment, wear in the bushings, pivots, and linkage in general, and of course there can be wear right up in the column mechanism itself. In rare cases, you might have a problem in the transmission shift linkage, which has detents that is supposed to lock out 1/r when going into 2/3

One thing you might try, to "get by" is to make an effort to carefully pull the lever into neutral, a separate effort to move in "the gate" rather than sort of an "angled speed shift"

This has been a problem since the invention of column shifts, LOL.

Beat me to it with the long version.:D

In the early '70's at NAS Miramar, we had two 63 Chev pickups, nearly identical, except that one was always getting stuck in gear

One day my partner Dave was crossing the runway, screwin' off and did a big speedshift into 2nd, only the shifter BROKE OFF AT THE ROOT!!!!

We limped back to the shop. This was after hours on a weekend, so we were the only ones on duty. We cried and moaned at the stripes we were both gonna lose (both E-5) when I had an inspiration!!!!

"Let's just trade shift levers!!!!"

So we got the second truck "stuck in gear" on purpose, then put the broken lever in THAT truck.

I'm sure the Chief always thought "I" was the guy who was really at fault in this deal

Thanks Guys! I will give that a try. I have decided to start tearing her down and do all my body work, paint and mechanical over the winter here in the Pac Northwest... This is the only thing about living up here Vs. living in So Cal where I just came from... The wife wants to just stay in the house or go shopping while i get to wrench on my new toy. thanks again!!

-
Back