3 Point Belts??

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
Of course, I hope to never find out if 3 point seatbelts are really more protective than the 2 point ones in my ragtop. For that matter, I hope to never test the 2 point belts I have!

That said, I would like to retrofit 3 point belts into the 64ragtop. The difficulty I see is finding a solid place to mount the upper anchor. Getting access to the inside of the rail below the rear quarter window looks mighty difficult. Fitting some kind of reinforcing hardware and an anchoring nut into that space looks mighty near impossible. Doing that and keeping the rear window functional - - - fagetaboutit!!!

Does anyone have any ideas? Any examples of workable methods?

Thanks!

ATB

BC

Cut the seat belt anchors out of a junked older mopar and spot weld them behind the inner body panel. If you are creative you may be able to have full quarter window operation too. Looking to do the same on a dart hardtop I have as the stock location of the shoulder belt feels like it would take my head off in a serious collision.

I put an anchor behind the rear seat back above the rear wheel well

This thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=184851

The photo is out of a 67 options pamphlet from the Hamtramck registry

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

24mzt6s.jpg

I'm running some aftermarket seats in my car and did them like this:

I will admit I "cheated." I ran the lap buckle over as far to the right as I could get, and am using a single shoulder belt diagonally similar to the factory set up. I'm sure NHRA would not approve, but then I'm not planning on showing up, either.

Attachments

• _MG_6022cs.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,113
  • _MG_6025cs.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 432
  • _MG_6026cs.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,500
Or you can put a set of Sebring convertible seats in it which the third point is mounted inside the seat.

The lap belt in my 69 Dart vert and an abrupt stop the other day makes me realize how much I like my front teeth.
I know some people use the Sebring seats but I prefer the stock/old school look.
Still looking/researching to modify a better restraint option.
Was lookin at my buddys 87 Camaro vert the other day trying to get ideas... hopefully we can come up with a viable plan.

Was looking into the 3 point belts in the back seat for my son... but alot of the info shows they can be more unsafe than lap belt if not properly installed. Will try to find thread.

Heres a related link:

http://www.wescoperformance.com/i-3207-retractable-install.htm

Attachments

• i-3207-install.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 360
I found that figure posted before I did mine, but could find nothing of any strength in the forward quarter area. When I saw the photos in the Mopar pamplet and saw that they were anchored further back, that's when I decided on that approach.

Among the many things I don't know is how much force the 7/16" bolt would take and how much force would be applied in any given wreck. Depending on the many possibilities, it seems nearly impossible for someone without lots of schooling and test facilities to design and build "the best" mounting points for seats, seat belts, shoulder harnesses or any other accessories.

Since my Dart has a straight non collapsible steering column, I'm probably toast in a serious head-on anyway. Not to be overly fatalistic, but without several airbags, better door latches, etc.etc. our 20th century cars are simply not going to be as survivable as those with the safety designs now in place.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm going to use hardware like i found on a couple of those sites and call it good. That stuff would have to be many times better than just a lap belt, and I do want to preserve rear seat access. But all any of us can do is make a decision and live with it. Or maybe not!

Maybe someday our good friends and protectors in Washington will just tell us that our old MOPARS are "unsafe at any speed" like Ralph Nader said of the Corvair (which had been completely redesigned to handle better by the time Nader's book came out, by the way) OOPS, gettin' a little OT there, 'scuse me!

ATB

BC

-
Back