3 Teens Killed in Speeding Challenger

-
Thats just sad to here. Hate to see that.

My first car was my Dart. 340 4 speed at 15 and a half. Some how I am still alive and will be 30 in a few months.

Yes he obey's the law to a certain extent just like the rest of us. We all make mistakes and unfortunately sometimes we pay with our lives and the lives around us. Sad to say, this happens everyday

FWIW, he is on the Honor Roll at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music 2 Years in a Row and takes 21 Units per semester and tested out of a bunch of classes the first semester there. He has enough credits to graduate after next year first semester. He is a good kid that is going to be 20 Years old next month. I am not saying he is an Angel in anyway shape or Form, although I can count on 1 hand how many times I had to discipline him Physically.

5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40 and so on.......... haaaa

That's awesome Louis. I commend you.

So then if you lose control as a direct result of you not wearing a seatbelt and KILL someone ELSE, you are fine with calling that "taking your lumps". Nice.

Puhlease.

That old "keeps ya behind the wheel" line may have been 100% true back in the day of bench seats and cars with interiors the size of a living room, but have you sat in a newer car lately? Those seats hold you so damn tight and the interior is so small in most anymore you aint going anywhere unless you are flipping the car end over end....and by that time "control" is pretty much a moot point.

But ok, lets say that the seatbelts "keep you behind the wheel and in control".

If we have to mandate seatbelts then ALL ACTIVITY that can distract someone from driving should be equally illegal and pursued.....

I am more worried about the yahoos texting while drinking a 32 oz slushee while smoking while yellingat the kids in the back seat. The way to keep control of an accident is to not have one to begin with and the habits people have now on the roadways are waaaaaay more scary than worrying about someone somehow flying out from out of his bucket seat squished between a door and a center console.

Anyways, lets not jack the thread....sad sad story with real families involved.

Prayers going out.

I look back at the stupid stuff I did, when I was a kid, and I'm lucky I'm alive. May those kids rest in peace. MMG

As a father how,s son was killed in a car that hit a big old oak tree at 200KPM,driven by a nother person and killed himself and three others,its the problem of many.Parents,driver,and passengers,and the public.Parents should know if their son/daughter is any bit of a chance of a nut case behind a wheel,and say no.Driver has to be fully acountabule for their actions,passengers to be sure the person driving is not a nut case or has been drinking,or smoking drugs or taking any,public to make sure the police are doing there job to check and lay the law down,100%.When you see your child laying beside a car in pieces,maybe some of you will step back and maybe think a bit,and might even think the laws are to lame for under 25 people,but I am sure that some here will be bitchin about my right to do this or that.Well,you have no rights to kill my child because you are a dumb *** and can,t teach your kid how to drive properly and show respect to other.Maybe a few pictures of the car my son was in,and the people in it that where cut open like a fish on a table,would that straighten you dumb asses out a little,some yes,others,its going to do nothin to them,I have my rights.And you know what,you do have rights,right up to the piont where you are 100% WRONG,mrmopartech if you don,t agree,call me,if you can afford it,450 424 0445

I rode in some cars as a teenager with some goofy friends that drove like idiots and I usually had to threaten violence to get them to slow down, sometimes even had to go fist'a cuffs afterwards, but I had a hopped up 318 Valiant that was capable of speed but I always knew better than to drive like a moron.
Unfortunately I lost quite a few friends back in the day from drunk driving/ speeding accidents.
I think the movie in drivers-ed: "Signal-30" helped me realize what speeding/drinking, driving, drugs can do to people plus my Dad pounded into my head the importance of self preservation and respect for others behind the wheel.
Definitely qualities I passed down to my kids as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MGKBD4BA6E"]YouTube - ‪Signal 30 Part 1‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9bYM9BrYU&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Signal 30 - Classic Educational Video - (Car Wrecks) Part2‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwwjdHfa7A&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Roadway Retard - Classic Car - Bad Left Turn‬‏[/ame]

First off, May those kids rest in peace and may their parents find some peace for the rest of their lives! Needless death is sad no matter how it happens.

NEXT:
Proof positive that BAD decisions are made every day by BOTH parents and children....indeed something to ponder

The make of the car makes no difference, but the HORSEPOWER absolutely makes a difference.....Hi performance cars can get you into trouble far quicker than the 4 cylinder caliber.....
just sayin

Oh the horror of those signal 30 films. I wish people learning to drive were made to watch those. But In our shelter our children society we live in today, that will never happen. It's been a long time since I watched those, but even now as old as they are I thing they would be a great tool in our BS drivers ed classes offered nowadays.

I haven't read the story, but I've got the gist of it.

Now for the story of a teenager who crashed and lived...
As you may have heard on my fix the caprice thread, I was screwing around in a parking lot and hit a pole at 35-40 mph. I wanted that specific car because it had the LT1 corvette engine in it and it looked better than the 91-93s. The car has power to burn a set of 295s pulling off of a stop sign stock. Again, I wanted the car. My parents both had a 91 Roadmaster, Impala (non SS), Caprice wagon, and Olds Custom cruiser wagon. They never had one with the LT-1 like me. Again, I wanted the car. The fact that I crashed had little to do with the actual car. I am convinced that had I owned a 95 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T like I wanted at one point, I would have done the same thing.

Now, the kid being 16, having a fast car, and a few friends to show off with had a choice. Floor the gas in a safe spot for a few seconds and get up to speed quickly then go ONLY 5 over. That would would be the safe thing to do while being able to impress your friends. Or, do what I did. Try to impress your friends by doing something extendedly dangerous because you have done it before and got away with it. I'm willing to bet 1 million that he did the second option. Just like I did. The difference between us? I hit a pole dead center at only 40 mph and never left the road. He left the road because he was going too fast. Both cases were in cars too fast for what the person driving it could handle, and the driver's fault for doing something reckless. It's not one or the other, they are both equally to blame.

Now, I have since learned to respect the power of only 260 horses in a car like that, and drove it like a normal human being after it was fixed until the transmission line popped off and fried the 3rd/4th clutch. I've never driven the barracuda like that, nor will I. Even after I get the engine rebuilt, the most I will ever do in that car is a burnout. Or break the speed limit a little... just to see where the gearing ends. :D The kid didn't respect the value of the car either, 30K is a lot of money. The only reason I drove the way I drove in the caprice was because it was 2500. Easily replaceable and cheap. A 2011 Challenger not so much.

Sum up: no respect for the value of the car, (so probably spoiled), too much power for a newer driver, the kid being stupid. This is from someone who's crashed recently and still remembers why and how. Trust me on this, I probably thought a lot like the kid did at the time. Thus, I'm quite certain I know why it happened.

*note, I've had my drivers license for a little over a year now. And I'm almost convinced it was an act of God that I hit the car where I hit it, and that I thought it would be a good idea to fasten my seatbelt before doing that, "because, ya know I might hit something doing this... (just in case something goes wrong.)" *two thoughts simultaneously :D*

OK, I'll be the jerk, I feel sorry for the car, it didn't get to live out it's full life either. I have done very dumb things behind the wheel of a car I don't deny it, but this goes back to the process of natural selection...two kids stick marbles up their noses, one lives to tell about it the other doesn't grow up to have kids of his own. End of story.

The three kids in this car were buried today. Also the Highway patrol has recovered the data box from the car and it has shown that this car was traveling at 129 MPH,- 90 seconds before impact. The driver of this car was 16 yrs old and got this car as a 16th Birthday present from his parents. Also it has come out that this kid was driving on a provisional license and was required to have an adult family member in the car with him which he did not have and was not supposed to be driving with other teens under 18 in the car (excluding family). Sad end to a senseless accident. And a good reason why any parents considering to buy their kids a car for their 16th Birthday to make a more sensible choice of what vehicle to purchase.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8178291

Sad for sure. I feel for the families in this tragic accident. The way I see it there is only one cause for this accident, poor judgement from a 16 year old.

I have run Fire and Rescue for 15 years and "most" crashes where I have had to extricate people and bodies from vehicles could have been avoided with better judgement, whether it be driving defensively, driving slower, driving sober etc. it's all a judgement call.

It's not the parents fault, it's not the cars fault it is the poor judgement on the part of the 16 year old. This kid decided to push his foot to the floor, probably showing off to his friends. The fact that he ignored the rules by having the other kids in the car speaks volumes about his ability to make good decisions and follow the rules.

Sad for sure. I feel for the families in this tragic accident. The way I see it there is only one cause for this accident, poor judgement from a 16 year old.

I have run Fire and Rescue for 15 years and "most" crashes where I have had to extricate people and bodies from vehicles could have been avoided with better judgement, whether it be driving defensively, driving slower, driving sober etc. it's all a judgement call.

It's not the parents fault, it's not the cars fault it is the poor judgement on the part of the 16 year old. This kid decided to push his foot to the floor, probably showing off to his friends. The fact that he ignored the rules by having the other kids in the car speaks volumes about his ability to make good decisions and follow the rules.

Most 16 year olds will not exhibit good judgement. Heck, I didn't exhibit good judgement when I was 16 either. Parents are somewhat accountable. They must put their kids in a position where they place the least amount of harm amongst themselves. Why did the kids parents put them into a high powered Challenger? When I was 16, I got a 1980 Mazda 626 with less than 100 HP. It's not entirely the parents' fault. But I willing to bet they wish that they never bought that kid a Challenger, or let him drive one for that matter.

It is hard for me to believe this is your conclusion, So if a 6 yo finds his dads gun and kills a friend with it, it's not his dads fault? The 6 yo used bad judgement? At 16 this boy didn't have the knowledge or the tools to know of the possible outcome of his poor judgement. I know the parents regret the decision to buy him this for his 16th birthday, but that won't change the outcome at this point. Why did he have the keys to it anyway? he couldn't legally drive without an adult in the car.

speeding is speeding. a 4 cyl. pt cruiser is capable of speeding and having the same results.
as a parent of driving age teenagers, I'm w/ya Joe. Those who blame the parents: Did YOU drive the way your parents taught you....100% of the time? (remember, it takes just a fraction of time to screw up royally...) Just enough to regret. As adults, those who will admit it can feel me, as I still make stupid manuvers...later I regret them and am ashamed of my actions. None the less, bad judgment caused them and I'm human and wish I could reverse time to re-think..... Bottom line: I can't blame the parents, it was a bad decision on the driver/occupants that this happened. I guarantee they wish they had that split second to do over. regardless of the vehicle at question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abodyjoe
speeding is speeding. a 4 cyl. pt cruiser is capable of speeding and having the same results.
as a parent of driving age teenagers, I'm w/ya Joe. Those who blame the parents: Did YOU drive the way your parents taught you....100% of the time? (remember, it takes just a fraction of time to screw up royally...) Just enough to regret. As adults, those who will admit it can feel me, as I still make stupid manuvers...later I regret them and am ashamed of my actions. None the less, bad judgment caused them and I'm human and wish I could reverse time to re-think..... Bottom line: I can't blame the parents, it was a bad decision on the driver/occupants that this happened. I guarantee they wish they had that split second to do over. regardless of the vehicle at question.

But there's less margin for error in that PT Cruiser.

We can/have been talking this over for days and some good points have been made on both sides.

But......

I'm sure the parents will be wishing for the rest of their lives that they had made a more responsible decision for their child's first car.

So sad to see kids lose their lives. I for one think it is just way to easy to get your license here in the U.S. What we need is a setup more like the test in Sweden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Sweden This would help weed out many of the idiots on the road today. Another thing that I don't get is with all this technology we have on cars now why not a "student mode"? Just have a plug in setup that has a governor for new drivers. We already have those interlock setups for drunks. So why not have parents pick these up for a fee when they go to get a learners permit for their kids? Probably some out their wouldn't use it but at least it would cut back on these situations. And sure you could still get in an accident at 40mph but hey at least it would be better than an accident at 140mph!?

First off, May those kids rest in peace and may their parents find some peace for the rest of their lives! Needless death is sad no matter how it happens.

NEXT:
Proof positive that BAD decisions are made every day by BOTH parents and children....indeed something to ponder

The make of the car makes no difference, but the HORSEPOWER absolutely makes a difference.....Hi performance cars can get you into trouble far quicker than the 4 cylinder caliber.....
just sayin

X2 on all of this.

IMHO, inexperienced drivers need to learn car control. This starts with knowing where the corners of the car and where the wheels are at all times. To head off wise guy remarks, the need for knowing where the wheels are is to prevent running over curbs and medians as well as not taking the side off the vehicle when navigating in tight quarters. Inexperienced drivers need to know how to avoid and correct skids.

The key to it all is decision making ability. Most of us have learned something over the course of our lives by surviving bad decisions. These three didn't.

My first vehicle was an old 1976 f100 that we drug over one of my Dads contractor friends for $100. It barely ran but it had a heater and it got me to school and kept me out of trouble. It lasted a year before it blew up while idling in the driveway.

I am sorry that these kids perished but that Challenger is too much car for a 16 yr old. Young people today take too much for granite - Even though my Dad only paid a hundred for the pickup I had to pay him $400, I had to work all summer for it. Stop texting and start driving.

It is hard for me to believe this is your conclusion, So if a 6 yo finds his dads gun and kills a friend with it, it's not his dads fault? This is a whole different ball of wax, of course there should be some responsibility and accountability on the parents part to secure the weapon from any child. The 6 yo used bad judgement? At 6 I doubt the child even knows the meaning of the word. At 16 this boy didn't have the knowledge or the tools to know of the possible outcome of his poor judgement. He should have, at 16 I certainly knew about the dangers of driving, did that stop me from doing some risky things, NO, bad judgement on my part. I know the parents regret the decision to buy him this for his 16th birthday, but that won't change the outcome at this point. Why did he have the keys to it anyway? he couldn't legally drive without an adult in the car.

I agree, at 16 I made some bad judgement calls myself, hence my conclusion. The fact of the matter is he could have wound up the same way in a 4 cylinder Focus, my wife has one and it will easily do 100 plus.

I have 3 kids, all girls, the oldest was not allowed to get a license because she exhibited very poor judgement and decision making even though we taught her different. My second oldest was the same way, she didn't get a license until she got old enough to do it for herself, she speeds, texts while driving etc and see's no harm in it and she is 21 now, if she wrecks should I be held accountable, NO, is it the cars fault NO. My 3rd now just a few days shy of 16 may not get hers either if she don't figure it out soon, she won't take responsibility for any mistake she makes, it's always someone else's fault. This may seem harsh, but we have decided as parents to make that decision based on our observance.

The bottom line is we can teach our children the proper way to do things, but if they decide to make a bad judgement call there is nothing we as parents can do to stop it if we are not there, nor should we be held accountable.

Edit: I will add that if the parents flipped the kid the keys and said be careful knowing full well that he didn't have a licensed driver with him and that he had more than one friend with him, then there should be some accountability.

Maybe the parents based their decision on what they observed. He could have been an A student who excelled in everything he did and exhibited a high level of responsibility which gave them the thought that he could handle it. I dunno. I know some young people in my area that are very responsible, they work, drive safely, never in any trouble and excel in school. Could they at any moment make a bad decision, absolutely.

I'm not saying everybody else is wrong and I'm right or vice versa, it's just the stark reality of life that some try to logic away.

Absolutely true. You don't need a V8 to prove your inexperience or your stupidity. In the wrongs hands, and especially on public roads, 4 cylinder cars are as deadly as 8 cylinder cars.

exactly-the operative word here is Speeding, not Challenger.

exactly-the operative word here is Speeding, not Challenger.

But the fact that it was a V8 Challenger sure didn't help the situation.

I like the way we can talk about guns here........ My young, nephew started out with a Red Rider.

When he was older and had proven to be a responsible shooter he got a 10/22.

When he reached hunting age he got the old family 30/30 for deer.

He will be going to a 300 win mag when we think he can hump the hills alone for Elk over here in the Cascade Range.

The parents were stupid, the kid was stupid, the car........ Well it's just a car. Without a driver it just sits there.

Just like a gun. Without a shooter, it just sits there.

But what parent would give a 5 year old a 300 win/mag?

Did anyone read my post at all? I pretty much laid the whole thing out.

-
Back