318 "302" Casting Heads Question???

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
Hi All,

Would a set of Chrysler 88-91 "302" casting heads fit on an earlier model 318 from a '76 Duster? What modifications would be needed?

Cheerz,

Pana

Hi All,

Would a set of Chrysler 88-91 "302" casting heads fit on an earlier model 318 from a '76 Duster? What modifications would be needed?

Cheerz,

Pana

Yes. I put a "302" set on a 64 273 not long ago with no mods. As long as they aren't the Magnum heads they will fit with out mods.

Yes.....They will bolt on....and due to the smaller cc combustion chambers you would probably end up picking up some compression ratio.

The kicker is the cam shaft.....if you retain the older block and Hyd. Cam shaft (76' 318 ) use the matching pushrods. If you use a roller 318 block and hyd. roller cam...you need to use the hyd. roller pushrods.

:thumrigh:

Yes. I put a "302" set on a 64 273 not long ago with no mods. As long as they aren't the Magnum heads they will fit with out mods.
Did you notice a performance change on the 273 after changing heads?

Thanks for the advice guys... I've got a set of reco'd *302* casting heads coming for me 318 so it will be interesting to see how the little small block goes once I've finished it.. Will keep you all up to date...

Did you notice a performance change on the 273 after changing heads?

Sorry wedgie I would have answered your question sooner but I didn't see it for some reason.

Yes I did but I changed the cam also so that wouldn't fair comparison. The heads I had were shot and a compression test would show the highest reading of 125. With the refreshed swirl port "302" heads the compression readings was I believe 145 and higher. They definitely were a better set of heads. I now have the same heads on a 360. I built the motor for torque so they fit the bill and the "302" chambers helped upping the compression on the 360 which is 10.7 compression. I wanted the velocity to stay high and have a good bottom end.

-
Back