318 balancer and pulley bolt hole mismatch

-

swinger

Reaction score
I picked up a rebuilt 318 long block, and am in the process of building it up with a combination of new parts and parts from my old 318. First problem I encountered is that my known 318 crank pulley won't line up with the balancer bolt holes on the rebuilt 318. What's the most likely issue here? Could I have a 360 balancer installed, they are different from 318, right?

One part is for a steel crank and the other is for a cast crank with-out getting technical

mopar changed from symmetrical bolt pattern to an asymmetrical bolt pattern with one bolt offset...

been driving around with only 5 bolts on the crank pulley for many..many ...years...

Ran into that with small and big blocks; just elongate the one hole that doesn't line up.

Yes, it is only the one hole that should be off....Just elongate the one hole in the pulley....Most aftermarket pulleys come with the one hole elongated anyway so it fits both applications.....

Well that sounds like the easiest possible fix. I don't have to be concerned that my balancer is for an internally balanced application but should be external, or vice versa? Thanks.

One part is for a steel crank and the other is for a cast crank with-out getting technical

You can go technical on me..... What if I have the wrong balancer for my crank then? And how can I tell by looking?

all 318s are internally balanced. no converter weights and just thin balancer. a 360 balancer will be much thicker with a counterweight and a weighted converter.if you arent sure post up a pic

next question do all your pully's line up ? I'm running the 5 bolt solution but had to swap to my old 318 water pump with the outlet on the wrong sideto get things to line up now I want to swap back to the longer alum pump with the correct outlet side but don't know where to get the brackets and spacers etc... to make it work , hate to have to buy the $600 march setup .

cannucky, what exactly doesnt line up? no need for the 600 dollar crap....that aluminum water pump requires a different alternator bracket, and crank pulley i think....

Just go to a junkyard and get the whole setup from a 70's model pick up truck or a van without A/C and it will all be the same.Should be a million of them out there.

the water pump pully was off by about 3/4 inch or probably 1 pully groove I'm trying to figure out which crank pully to use , I was thinking of just getting a 3 or 4 groove and some extra spacers for the alternater and ps pump ,but the ps pump bracket I have requires and extra ear on the water pump that sticks out and the new pump doesn't have that so I guess I need some sort of new brackets for it .
Hemichuck I wish that was true around here but there isn't much around for older mopar or anything else , the rise in steel prices a couple of years ago cleaned up most of the scrap yards to the point where the only ones left are all modern stuff mostly import .

To be honest, I didn't even look at the pulley alignment yet to see if I will have that issue. Per an earlier question, here's a couple pic's of the balancer on my 318. It appears symmetrical with no obvious eccentric weighting, so I'm guessing at least I do have the correct 318 balancer installed, right? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• balancer1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 394
  • balancer2.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 380
yes ,that is the correct balancer for a 318. i run a 2 groove crank pulley and a single groove WP pulley and a single groove ALT pulley and power steering with no issues. i got everything off a non AC 72 dodge van. i have mismatched pulleys on small and big blocks for years and ive only had to work with the ALT lining up 99% of the time.

To be honest, I didn't even look at the pulley alignment yet to see if I will have that issue. Per an earlier question, here's a couple pic's of the balancer on my 318. It appears symmetrical with no obvious eccentric weighting, so I'm guessing at least I do have the correct 318 balancer installed, right? Thanks guys.
Yes, you look to have the correct balancer for the '70 and newer internally ballanced engine. You'll need to get a complete set of all the brackets and pulleys from a '70 and newer, aluminum water pump, non-A/C, small block engine. The '69 and earlier stuff won't line up.

thanks cudamark thats the concise answer I needed to place an order , thanks to all who also helped out here . now back to your regular programming

-
Back