318 Build.. Zero Deck or Stock Deck Clearance?

-
my first build was a 67 2barrel 383 with a 300deg 500 lift cam and a 440 avs on a 68 intake with manifold exhaust.
A complete pig bellow 3000. lol but all my 15 year old buddies were hanging on above that.
at least we thought we were fast, fast enough to waste a few 350's though. ha ha

IMO compression ratio should be your first target in an engine build and I wasn't sure what would be the proper ratio for what I wanted the engine to do. Compression ratio determines how much cam I can use. Cam selection determines the RPM range of the engine. RPM range helps determine intake type and carb CFM needed. Doesn't this sound like a logical plan for an engine that is still on the drawing board ? I understand that the 302 Swirl Heads are superior in many aspects to the old 587 or 974 heads but I have also found that,even with the compression loss, the 587s add performance compared to the stock 1.78 valved small port 318 heads and the 587 type is cheaper, more readily available and less likely to be damaged. The old 260H worked well in that time place and application but I already knew that we wouldn't be using that one again. I do understand that we should "Aim Low" during cam selection. We are good with that. Not building this engine to impress the kids at the local drive-in only to have it fall on its face out on the boulevard. Been there. Done that. NOT going back. What are the cam companies to avoid due to their total lack of understanding of what an LA engine wants and are there companies that seem to have better engineering when it comes to this sort of build ? Thanks for the help.
Honestly not trying to be contrary at all.. .trying to help.... but I gotta ask...

The above is confusing in zeroing in on this.... The first step in this is to decide the desired use for the car/engine, and then that drives the operating characteristics of the engine, and then your budget, before going down the compression selection etc. path. Sooo...... What does 'fall on it's face on the boulevard' mean exactly? Slow off the line or slow reaching 100 mph? 2 very different things and drives 2 different build plans. So are you wanting good low end torque for off the line and driveability, or just pure raw HP? If the first or anywhere close to both, then you need some compression ratio and sticking with regular goes against that, unless you have the time and knowledge and $$ invested to go down the road the AJ describes.

Is this budget build? Or just wanting to run on regular? I got that impression from your prior posts that this was a budget build. But maybe not.

Did anyone figure out a way to make the Icon or KB " 318 10:1" flatops work with the 302 or similar closed chamber wedge heads?
Me I'd call UEM and ask about cutting a step or a D Dish, look at the 360 step dish piston for an example
or how many cc's can we get out of the chamber
I thought I saw an AJ post somewhere

Lee- sounds like you are going around with the parameters which is what you have time to do- keep it up

Did anyone figure out a way to make the Icon or KB " 318 10:1" flatops work with the 302 or similar closed chamber wedge heads?
Me I'd call UEM and ask about cutting a step or a D Dish, look at the 360 step dish piston for an example
or how many cc's can we get out of the chamber
I thought I saw an AJ post somewhere

Lee- sounds like you are going around with the parameters which is what you have time to do- keep it up
Kb167 pistons 302 heads that's my build. Nothing to make it work. Works fine.

Kb167 pistons 302 heads that's my build. Nothing to make it work. Works fine.

And, with the block zero-decked plus a typical Fel-Pro blue composition head gasket, you can get a tight quench pump gas friendly 9.5-10:1. Magnum heads will get you much the same result and flow better. So what would a 280H do in such an engine that an XE268H wouldn't?

And, with the block zero-decked plus a typical Fel-Pro blue composition head gasket, you can get a tight quench pump gas friendly 9.5-10:1. Magnum heads will get you much the same result and flow better. So what would a 280H do in such an engine that an XE268H wouldn't?
I would think you would have more low end torque with the XE268 but that is just an presumption.

from an old thread
"
put the kb167s in a 318. they were nice they sat .010" in the hole. with head combo and gasket i was using it ran the compression at 9.7568:1. The guy i sold the engine to said he dynoed it and got descent numbers somewhere between 300 and 340 hp. they were real nice pistons.
"

you would have a LOT more torque and HP with a 256 Howard, Lunati, Jones, bullett
input those comp cams into their cam look up and note the intake close points and exhaust open points

-
Back