318 Crank

-
Yes. According to the Mopar Engine book, '67 318 had a forged crank part number 2268119. But any forged crank from a 273, 318 or 340 should fit since they have the same journal size.

Thought Id jump in. I've got a couple of steel cranks out of pollies and 318-3 truck engs. I'm not 100% but think these are same as talked about in the old Peterson book,High Per.Chry. The article states there flame hardened and would make an "excellent all out race crank". Now I know these are used & would have to be checked and it might be wise to just buy new, just quirius if anyone has an opinion pollies &318-3's have same casting #'s cant remember them off top of head right now but will be looking at one tomorrow-- sorry getting old

Mopar Dan said:
Thought Id jump in. I've got a couple of steel cranks out of pollies and 318-3 truck engs. I'm not 100% but think these are same as talked about in the old Peterson book,High Per.Chry. The article states there flame hardened and would make an "excellent all out race crank". Now I know these are used & would have to be checked and it might be wise to just buy new, just quirius if anyone has an opinion pollies &318-3's have same casting #'s cant remember them off top of head right now but will be looking at one tomorrow-- sorry getting old
would you want to sell one??

I thought that the 318 crank was forged until 71...I think the 70 318 sitting in the garage has a forged crank 'cause it has a skinny balancer. Anyone know for sure?

pagilman said:
:drinkers: I have heard that all 273's were forged? Is this true? thanks walt
Referring back to the Mopar Engine book :book: ... the answer is no, not all 273's had a forged crank. It says '68-'71 engines used a cast crank with the number 2843699.

gts340 said:
I thought that the 318 crank was forged until 71...I think the 70 318 sitting in the garage has a forged crank 'cause it has a skinny balancer. Anyone know for sure?
Again, according to the Mopar Engine bible, the answer is no. HOWEVER, someone on this board has corrected me on this before. So don't believe the bible. :angel4:

I've seen a bunch of pre '71 318s that were forged cranks. You cant tell by the balancers like the big block. The only way I know of for sure is to take the oil pan off and look.

moper said:
I've seen a bunch of pre '71 318s that were forged cranks. You cant tell by the balancers like the big block. The only way I know of for sure is to take the oil pan off and look.

That's exactly right.....I have been pulling pans off every 318 I have found looking for a forged piece. But what the early 318 blocks are really good for is a good amount of them can be bored to 4".......they are a thick wall casting but the only way to know for sure is to sonic check them. Truck and boat motors usually have the best chance. '67 - 70 are the best odds to find them too......

Sorry guys, the quote I was referring to was in soft cover book MOPAR PERFORMANCE by SA DESIGN, has 413 cross ram on cover-1978 era. Don't know if they know what their talking about or not. Looked at casting #'s last night it looks to me to be 2428869-compared a couple. I think this good # but it's hard to see. Are these run of the mill forged cranks or is there some validity to books quote????

Depending on what you want to do with the motor; any of the stock forged cranks should be fine, just get it balanced for your end use. Mopar will tell you a cast crank is a fine piece to use as well ... up to something like 500 hp. One thing mopar did for us was bless us with strong although heavy cranks regardless of being cast or forged. I have taken apart a lot of earlier 318's etc and most have cast cranks. The pre 67 273's are all forged as are the early poly motors, the later 67-72 318's are a crap shoot from what I can tell. Not all 340's are forged either, the later 72/73's were cast, all 360's are cast. Sorry if I am boring anyone with this.

66dartgt said:
Depending on what you want to do with the motor; any of the stock forged cranks should be fine, just get it balanced for your end use. Mopar will tell you a cast crank is a fine piece to use as well ... up to something like 500 hp. One thing mopar did for us was bless us with strong although heavy cranks regardless of being cast or forged. I have taken apart a lot of earlier 318's etc and most have cast cranks. The pre 67 273's are all forged as are the early poly motors, the later 67-72 318's are a crap shoot from what I can tell. Not all 340's are forged either, the later 72/73's were cast, all 360's are cast. Sorry if I am boring anyone with this.
nope good info keep it coming :D

-
Back