318 dart to duster Engine Swap

-

Arturo Dominguez

Reaction score
So im thinking about swapping a 318 from my 66 dart to a 75 duster, any tips experiences or problems anybody can see coming.
I would appreciate any knowlegde or input on the matter.

So im thinking about swapping a 318 from my 66 dart to a 75 duster, any tips experiences or problems anybody can see coming.
I would appreciate any knowlegde or input on the matter.
You'll need the correct spool mounts for the 75 duster and if you want to go electronic ignition, you'll need that stuff, otherwise, it should be pretty straight forward swap.

what was in the duster?
do both cars have the same transmission?
are you swapping the transmission?

edit: WATERPUMP
your dart has the waterpump exiting on the passenger side
the duster has the waterpump exiting on the driver side
you can simply swap waterpumps BUT that would hide the timing marks on the timing cover
no issue IF the engine is running great and the timing doesnt need to be addressed but i would swap the timing cover and install a water pump to match

(or take the radiator from the dart and bolt it into the duster)

what was in the duster?
do both cars have the same transmission?
are you swapping the transmission?

edit: WATERPUMP
your dart has the waterpump exiting on the passenger side
the duster has the waterpump exiting on the driver side
you can simply swap waterpumps BUT that would hide the timing marks on the timing cover
no issue IF the engine is running great and the timing doesnt need to be addressed but i would swap the timing cover and install a water pump to match

(or take the radiator from the dart and bolt it into the duster)

The duster and the dart both origionally had slant 6's in them im planing on moving the trans as well, and also transplanting the radiator but it might be to big sense its not a stock radiator

Im also concerned about wether or not ill need new motor mount or if ill be able to use the ones off the dart

so since your moving trannies, do they both have the same rear end?
the darts wheel base is 111, the duster is 108 so the driveshaft will need to be shortened atleast 3 inches, perhaps more depending in rear ends

i would say if the radiator fits in the dart, it should swim in the duster

motormount, as dukeboy mentioned, you need spool mounts (edited for accuracy)
what K member is in the duster, still the slantie unit?
if so, you need conversion mounts

'73 & UP A,B,F,M, J-Body Products

i dont know if you would be able to swap K member alltogether between the two cars

Last edited:
so since your moving trannies, do they both have the same rear end?
the darts wheel base is 111, the duster is 108 so the driveshaft will need to be shortened atleast 3 inches, perhaps more depending in rear ends

i would say if the radiator fits in the dart, it should swim in the duster

motormount, as dukeboy mentioned, you need biscuit mounts
what K member is in the duster, still the slantie unit?
if so, you need conversion mounts

'73 & UP A,B,F,M, J-Body Products

i dont know if you would be able to swap K member alltogether between the two cars
73 UP are spool mounts. No the K member will not swap to a 66, 66 is narrower i believe.

Wait, is the 318 in the 66 dart a poly engine or an early LA? if its a poly engine, there is gonna be more issues. Got a pic?

Wait, is the 318 in the 66 dart a poly engine or an early LA? if its a poly engine, there is gonna be more issues. Got a pic?
Ya

received_113163905988391.jpeg

73 UP are spool mounts. No the K member will not swap to a 66, 66 is narrower i believe.

you are correct i had em backwards, but the principle remains, he needs new ones

hey, at least that battery hold down will change over to the duster

you are correct i had em backwards, but the principle remains, he needs new ones

hey, at least that battery hold down will change over to the duster
Haha nice right, that photo was prior to me pulling the engine when i first bought it

it is the electrical equivalent of a "quick change rear end"

Im also concerned about wether or not ill need new motor mount or if ill be able to use the ones off the dart

No, the older cars used the sandwich style motor mount, in 73 they switched to the spool mounts....

You will have to get a set of 73 and later 318 mounts... They should not be hard to find a set of 318 spool mounts, I think you can buy them at the parts store - NAPA... If not, post a wanted ad here and someone will have a set...

Beware: 340/360 mounts are different from 318/273 mounts, the driver's side mount is 1/2" different - just enough to piss you off...

No, the older cars used the sandwich style motor mount, in 73 they switched to the spool mounts....

You will have to get a set of 73 and later 318 mounts... They should not be hard to find a set of 318 spool mounts, I think you can buy them at the parts store - NAPA... If not, post a wanted ad here and someone will have a set...

Beware: 340/360 mounts are different from 318/273 mounts, the driver's side mount is 1/2" different - just enough to piss you off...
i think he saiad the duster was a slant 6 car. he'll need schmuacher mounts for that

as for the mounts, there is a difference, but you can stack washers between the block ears and the mounts in a pinch. Done that

-
Back