318 draw through build

-
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your build.

Finally had some time away from the body work to work on the turbo setup.
Here is the valve baseplate. Just have to get the correct fasteners I need to hang the reed valves from the plate, then should be able to weld the whole thing together.

Attachments

• ValvePlate_001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,514
  • ValvePlate_002.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,445
  • ValvePlate_003.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • ValvePlate_004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • ValvePlate_006.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,461
You're a complete pain in the *** at times, but you do some nice work.

Thanks Rod, and your right, I can be a real PIA at times.

More. Will need to farm out the rest of the welding as my 150 amp machine won't cut it.

Attachments

• ValvePlate_005_006.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,395
  • ValvePlate_004_005.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,376
  • ValvePlate_003_004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • ValvePlate_002_003.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • ValvePlate_001_002.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,431
Sure, I just got the rest of the welding done. I'll take some pics and post them later today.

Yeah, sorry, I"ll get them up as soon as I can find where I left my camera. :(

OK, here are some more pics of the stuff all welded up. Tomorrow I should be finishing smoothing out the carb flange of the top plate and painting the intake manifold.

Attachments

• ValvePlate_005.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,205
  • ValvePlate_004.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • ValvePlate_003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,231
  • ValvePlate_002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,204
  • ValvePlate_001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,249
The things guys won't go through to save a buck!! LOL

Ya know it's hard to place credibility with a guy, LOL, who looks just like Snake Plissken, LOL

Cool build but it leaves me confused and with a headache.
I never knew such a system existed, never occured to me!

there are 3 for sale on eBay currently, below are some pics:

Attachments

• clip002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,223
  • $_57g.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,175
  • $_57b.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,185
  • $_57.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,197
Yes Jimmyray, that's the Martin system. It was actually developed by a forum member here named bohica2xo. Sadly they never got a Mopar small block system into production.
This sort of adapter was also available but the orientation of the inlet and outlet tubes are not in the best positions as well as is offsetting the carb.

Attachments

• Adaptor.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Adaptor2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,166
That one above was originally Rotomaster, later sold by accel. They did make that setup (special exhaust manifold) for Mopar at least SB in trucks, anyway

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=187891

attachment.php

By the way, the more I see you complete on this build, the more I wanna take a crack at it myself. Seems a whole lot simpler than fongooling with blow thru.

Yeah, I also like the look of the system, totally old school to me. I like to see all that stuff sitting up high on top of the motor. One thing I have done is move the turbo over a few inches so it is a virtual straight shot out of the compressor , into the intake manifold.

Yeah, I also like the look of the system, totally old school to me. I like to see all that stuff sitting up high on top of the motor. One thing I have done is move the turbo over a few inches so it is a virtual straight shot out of the compressor , into the intake manifold.
are you gonna mount a heat shield on the valve cover to prevent further heat soaking of the oil?

Yeah, I think I might make a nice stainless one once everything is 100% fitted up the way I want it.

Glad to see more progress. It's comin together nicely.

Nice progress Glenn.

Jimmyray:

Those two Martin systems are survivors for sure. The one on the wood table was a truck system, and is missing the suction side elbow from the upper intake to the compressor inlet.

The second system is actually a Corvette unit. The suction elbow was a crappy compromise to clear all of the OEM equipment. The exhaust manifold was also different.

The picture on the wood table illustrates why the system was such a success on the bottom end. I had kept the single plane runners, but reduced the height significantly. This increased the velocity during low speed operation. The system had a significant torque increase @ 1900 rpm over the OEM dual plane intake.

B

Thanks Brad, All the parts are welded, finished and painted. Now I'll move onto the exhaust crossover and output pipe. Once I do that I'll bolt all the parts to the engine.

Attachments

• ValvePlate_001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • ValvePlate_002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,070
you never showed how the reeds are installed. don't leave me hanging! lol

Looks great man. probably could fool someone that its factory

-
Back