318 egr port

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
sssoooo as we all know there is a egr port that runs across the heads via the intake manifold. ive heard about blocking this off but what is the function of that port? looking for hp n economy. and what are the benefits from blocking it off?

Need more info, are you talking about blocking off the exhaust passage between the heads or blocking off the egr on the intake manifold?

theres a small port opening in the middle of the manifold and middle of the heads. i will also be driving in winter

That heats the underside of the intake manifold to prevent carb icing, facilitates vaporization and also conducts heat to the choke stove tube. If it's a daily driver with a stock intake, leave it alone.

sssoooo as we all know there is a egr port that runs across the heads via the intake manifold. ive heard about blocking this off but what is the function of that port? looking for hp n economy. and what are the benefits from blocking it off?

EGR and carb heat are two different things

EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and is PURELY a result of smog laws passed in the late 60's / early 70's and all the screwball schemes car makers went through to try and "meet" the smog targets

EARLY Mopar EGR had no control valve at all. Simply, Mopar just drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the intake, right under the carb, so that exhaust gas leaked into the intake from the crossover below (get to that in a moment)

This was a REAL poor deal, and a year or so later, they finally modified the intake and put an EGR control valve up on top of the manifold, controlled by a vacuum operated diaphragm.

NOW, CARB HEAT

is a whole different brute, and has been around since the '50's

Carb heat on a V8 works like this

In one exhaust manifold is a thermostatic operated butterfly valve, which, when cold, essentially PLUGS that exhaust outlet and FORCES exhaust gas up through the center port in the head, across through the passage in the intake, and out the other head and out the exhaust on that side.

This heats the floor of the intake, preventing carb icing (which can happen in high humidity MUCH above freezing) improving fuel vaporization, AND on newer cars with the "well type" choke, heats the choke thermostat as well.

As said above, depending on your climate, (northern, colder) you probably should leave the crossover unblocked for daily driving.

In southern, warmer climates, you can get by OK blocking it, and may be better to block in some warm climates to prevent vapor lock and other fuel boiling problems.

The irony is that some older cars that have "carboned up" often have the thing plugged up, anyhow!!

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation. When the valve opens it allows a portion of that previously burned , oxygen depleated vapor to re-enter the intake fuel air mixture.
There is no way it can help performance or fuel milage. There are several ways for it to malfunction and hurt performance and milage. For me that is just another problem to hunt. I'll block the thing off with a hand cut piece of steel plate and break the vacuum servo completely off.
The vacuum spark advance is similar in that the engine will run fine without it. If and when I do have a problem I know what items are not suspect before I raise the hood.

-
Back