318 Head work

-

stumblinhorse

Reaction score
Due to the broken back exhaust stud, the heads (675s) are off and going to the machine shop to have a valve job done. Right now I am leaving the rest of the pieces (Rockers, Lifters, Cam, Pushrods) alone.

Couple of question for the experts.
1. Does it matter Left vs Right Heads when I put them back on? Should be like new? If I do need to care, what should I do to label the Left vs Right heads, that will make it thru the machining process. I have put a bolt into the Right side head, but not sure if there is anything most people do.

2. I am going to upgrade the cam at some point will do pushrods and lifters at that point but not this year. So I am just going to give the machine shop the cam card of the cam I am going to put in later, small Lunati:
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.475
  • LSA/ICL: 112/108
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 1000-5500
They are going to put in springs to support that cam now. Any issues with that idea? With Stock stuff?

Lastly, I am pulling the pan to do a rear main and pan gasket with a new Melling HV pump. Since I am doing that can I rinse out the top of the engine sludge with some lightweight oil. Then pull the pan and clean out any gunk or debris before any start up.

Thanks for your advice!

Heads are interchangeable left / right

So far as the pump, check CAREFULLY for pan to pump interferance at the top rear of the pump............Actually I guess I mean the bottom rear........where the pan rear corner "comes close" to the pump body

• Mopar only made 1 head. No such thing as a left or right until you bolt them on the car.
  • Get the rocker shafts back on correct, meaning the end with the notch is down and in front on the drivers side, and down and rear of the passenger sided.
  • Springs won't hurt at all with the original cam
  • I doubt you would need new pushrods with the new cam. Springs (you'll already have on the car), lifters and cam. Be sure to follow proper break in procedure with the new cam when the time comes.

Check the mounting bosses where the accessories bolt on, before you install the heads. You kindof want to bolt the alternator onto something. And if you find a broken bolt in there, you can turn it to the back, making it a "left" head,lol. Also, if you have an exhaust stud missing, I like to put that to the front so that if the replacement leaks, it's easy to work on. And Headers will hang nicely on a rear stud, during the install,so I like one to be there on the passenger side,at least.
>From a stock LA 240*cam,that new 256*cam may drop; your Dcr 4.7%, your pressure 6%, and your VP 29%.... meaning, you may wish to budget for a new convertor with a higher stall, and/or new pistons and/or more rear gear
.......jus saying.........
Happy Hotrodding

Check the mounting bosses where the accessories bolt on, before you install the heads. You kindof want to bolt the alternator onto something. And if you find a broken bolt in there, you can turn it to the back, making it a "left" head,lol. Also, if you have an exhaust stud missing, I like to put that to the front so that if the replacement leaks, it's easy to work on. And Headers will hang nicely on a rear stud, during the install,so I like one to be there on the passenger side,at least.
>From a stock LA 240*cam,that new 256*cam may drop; your Dcr 4.7%, your pressure 6%, and your VP 29%.... meaning, you may wish to budget for a new convertor with a higher stall, and/or new pistons and/or more rear gear
.......jus saying.........
Happy Hotrodding
Just to be clear, he HAS to put the left head on LAST!

It is 8 3/4" 3.55 rear end 4 speed. It is a '69 so advertised compression was 9.2. Once I get the piston tops cleaned up I will measure how far in the hole it is. Hopefully that small cam will do well in it. But that is a ways off, at least until I think I need a new timing chain. Then I can justify the new cam work. I have a lot of boxes showing up over the next week with all the new pieces of exhaust I need to cut and fit while waiting for the machine shop to finish. Going to work from back to front since I'm not sure where the long tube headers will end up.

It is 8 3/4" 3.55 rear end 4 speed. It is a '69 so advertised compression was 9.2. Once I get the piston tops cleaned up I will measure how far in the hole it is. Hopefully that small cam will do well in it. But that is a ways off, at least until I think I need a new timing chain. Then I can justify the new cam work. I have a lot of boxes showing up over the next week with all the new pieces of exhaust I need to cut and fit while waiting for the machine shop to finish. Going to work from back to front since I'm not sure where the long tube headers will end up.
Oh Heck, yeah, a 69 is advertised quite a bit better. You'll be fine.

-
Back