318 idles fine at 750 RPMs but when it goes into drive..... pfft.....

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
318 standard bore.... custom roller cam, new timing chain etc....
MSD Digital 6
Firing order has been confirmed.....

When ever I put it into reverse or drive, idle drops considerably and stalls.... WTF?

without knowing everything you got, sounds like either your timing is off, not enough, or your carb is causing you the problem. I has this happen to me on a 383 years ago, drove me nuts. The solution was to bring the timing up. I now use the timing plates from FBO to take the guess wok out. You want as much initial advance (idle ) as possible before the starter wants to crank backwards. Usually around 20 degrees or so , depending on the cam. But you need to limit your mechanical advance not to go any further than 34-35 degrees. Check the FBO website . But the first thing I would do is unplug the vacuum advance and bring your timing up to the point where the car no longer increases rpm when you are increasing the timing.

without knowing everything you got, sounds like either your timing is off, not enough, or your carb is causing you the problem. I has this happen to me on a 383 years ago, drove me nuts. The solution was to bring the timing up. I now use the timing plates from FBO to take the guess wok out. You want as much initial advance (idle ) as possible before the starter wants to crank backwards. Usually around 20 degrees or so , depending on the cam. But you need to limit your mechanical advance not to go any further than 34-35 degrees. Check the FBO website . But the first thing I would do is unplug the vacuum advance and bring your timing up to the point where the car no longer increases rpm when you are increasing the timing.
Great advice.... I will start there.... Thanks....

After reading your advice I realized I set the initial timing with the vacuum advance connected..... duh….

Fixed the issue... timed the car with vacuum advance removed..... Rookie mistake. probably should not be drinking JD while tuning......Cheers......

-
Back