318 LA cam brg. tool?

-
I feel your pain, no one rents one & its too pricey for only several uses. I figure just pay a shop & hopefully they dont screw up something that simple. they line up the holes then I later drill/tap/add drilled setscrews drilled to .060" to restrict oil (all 5 if I am externally oiling the valvetrain)

It's a handy setup to have around if you don even some engine work. You can strip a block too, and save there. I use mine a few times a year and it's paid for itself many times over.

I used some allthread and a few washers. use nut against allthread from the front and pull them in.

I have tools I have only used once or twice in the thirty plus years I have owned them. I don't regret buying them.

ITs all good. I'll get use from it.

question: When starting at bearing #5, and working forward.....seems the taper cone is a good alignment device. At bearing number 1, I THINK its recomended to install from the back of the block, forward. That way you can use the taper cone. Agree?

ITs all good. I'll get use from it.

question: When starting at bearing #5, and working forward.....seems the taper cone is a good alignment device. At bearing number 1, I THINK its recomended to install from the back of the block, forward. That way you can use the taper cone. Agree?

Yes that is correct.

drove them out, 15 minute job. no problem. shop kids did it. now to get cleaning the block~ bearings were wiped for sure.

It is a slick deal. I did mine a couple of days ago, slick and easy. I hope going in is as easy.

Yeah, Mine weren't too good either, lol.

attachment.php

Yeah, there's really nothing to it. If people wouldn't be such damn cheap asses always tryin to pinch a penny and just buy the tools they need to be in the hobby, they would see how much easier things can be.

I cannot count the number of times I have read "I don't want to buy a tool to only use once". Makes me sick. Then in that case, maybe they shouldda bought a Hyundai with one of those 200K mile warranties.

People can be stupid. Buy the tool, tell your friends. By the third set of cam bearings you've installed, the tool will be more than paid for.

By the third set of cam bearings you've installed, the tool will be more than paid for.

Yep, I'll be close to even after the first set, figuring 65 bucks to have them done, and 16 gallons of gas to get there and back, twice.

65+40=105.00 I paid 132.00 shipped.

Exactly. That's why I say either you're in the hobby, or just a bystander.

.....that said, that's probably why I am always helping others with their stuff. Because I have a 40 year collection of tools. Not many people make that investment.

I've never ever ever taken a penny for help anyone with a project they were working on. Its just what friends do. Loaning tools? not something I want to do, so I'll help them instead. Problem is, I wind up with more "friends" than people I know. Its hard to say no.

I've never ever ever taken a penny for help anyone with a project they were working on. Its just what friends do. Loaning tools? not something I want to do, so I'll help them instead. Problem is, I wind up with more "friends" than people I know. Its hard to say no.

....and that works for some people. "I" would never LET any of my friends do anything for me for free, so I expect the same in return.

Not saying one way or the other is better.........just "how I do it".

If I ask someone for help.....in what they do for a living, payment of some sort should be expected. Call my brother who's a plumber to move a gas lin? I pay, it is his living. If he helps me carry something our of the basedment? It's a freebie. Just a opinion.....

If I ask someone for help.....in what they do for a living, payment of some sort should be expected. Call my brother who's a plumber to move a gas lin? I pay, it is his living. If he helps me carry something our of the basedment? It's a freebie. Just a opinion.....

Exactly. We're on the same page.

I wish I had the line bore c Chrysler used after installing cam bearings.I have debated trying to make one.

-
Back