318 lifter noise

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Got the 318 back up and going in the daily after 4 months, new oil/filter and all that good stuff, the top end was never touched during that whole process. Lifters started tapping as soon as it started, I thought this was normal given all the cranking during testing and the fact that no oil had been to them in such a long time, been driving as usual for 4 days seeing if they'd quite down and so far they may have gotten slighty better but haven't stopped for sure... is this normal or should I pull the covers and check the rockers?

Got the 318 back up and going in the daily after 4 months, new oil/filter and all that good stuff, the top end was never touched during that whole process. Lifters started tapping as soon as it started, I thought this was normal given all the cranking during testing and the fact that no oil had been to them in such a long time, been driving as usual for 4 days seeing if they'd quite down and so far they may have gotten slighty better but haven't stopped for sure... is this normal or should I pull the covers and check the rockers?
There are a couple of Lucas products out there that could make a difference. It requires a little time and about $60, or so, of auto parts store products. Google " how to quiet lifter noise" and watch a few videos. Seems like a "no brain'r" to me...before even cracking a valve cover screw. I'd do it sooner rather than later, no sense letting a lifter stay collapsed.

Not normal. What did you do to the engine?
Timing chain jumped when I shut it off one day, new double roller, flushed the plastic bits from the old chain gear teeth from the pan with diesel, flushed the pan again with oil, new oil/filter, by then was fixing some ignition gremlins hence the cranking tests.

I had a bad lifter tried Lucas work d for a little bit then came back for less than 100 bucks all new lifters n gaskets on 71 318 with 88000 miles orig

Okay I'm gonna through my biggest spitball out there-- the broken timing chain spun a cam bearing and now you have oil blockage to the heads?

I had a bad lifter tried Lucas work d for a little bit then came back for less than 100 bucks all new lifters n gaskets on 71 318 with 88000 miles orig
I'd be shocked to find out a set of lifters cost a hundred bucks? I've seen a cam and lifters for like a hundred and four on Summit or something like that?

I'd be shocked to find out a set of lifters cost a hundred bucks? I've seen a cam and lifters for like a hundred and four on Summit or something like that?
No, he is right. He said lifters AND gaskets for LESS than a 100.

I hate it when someone comes in with a 1 line obvious answer and it's probably right and it wasn't me!
LOL

Dumb question here...but wouldn't a bent PR cause obvious performance issues? The thing runs way better than it ever has before. But for the record you can still hear the tapping from behind the car, coming from the pipes

LOL

Dumb question here...but wouldn't a bent PR cause obvious performance issues? The thing runs way better than it ever has before. But for the record you can still hear the tapping from behind the car, coming from the pipes
Yes, bent pushrods can cause all kinds of different reactions.

You have to figure if it got bent it was probably because it was beyond its maximum so it been to its maximum so now you're getting maximum out of everything with dead push rods! Some of them could be bending too much and causing slack which would make you a lifter noise and some of them are staying at their maximum length and giving You max performance.

Did I miss it? What is the oil pressure? The pickup could/will be clogged. The diesel could have made it worse, not better. All that nylon mixed up in all that sludge, mixed together with Diesel. What a mess. Will clog the intake screen. Low oil pressure.

Last edited:
Did I miss it? What is the oil pressure? The pickup could/will be clogged. The diesel could have made it worse, not better. All that nylon mixed up in all that sludge, mixed together with Diesel. What a mess. Will clog the intake screen. Low oil pressure.
I have an aftermarket gauge that replaces the factory sending unit, reads 60 on a cold start and never drops below 50 driving around. 10w40 oil

Update: still hasnt gone away, ill hopefully pull a cover tonight and see whats going on. Its definately drivers side and if you listen under the drivers fender its very apparent. Sounds like an exhaust leak but i'm almost positive it isnt, drivers manifold and donut gasket are good.

I hate to say it but it almost sounds like its coming from the bottom end. Hard to pin point with the belts and all going but its much easier to hear from under that fender...

Put a screwdriver on the rocker arm while it' idling with some pressure that's how I found mine I thought I had a exhaust leak to

bent push rods.
Yep, you were 100% right. 7 of them to be exact, some worse than others. Ill try to post pics tomorrow or saturday, some of these things are almost trophies given that i'd been daily driving on these suckers. These particular pushrods were oil through and the new ones arent, or atleast dont have the hole up top. Dont know if thats a no-go or what but the old ones were so clogged up i doubt they were doing much

-
Back