318 magnum heads

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
could use a little input on using 96 318 heads on a 76 360. this will go into a 65 barracuda, not for race, more show than go. my brother just wants a burn out king while getting goceries

No difference between 318 and 360 magnum heads. Block oil to heads, use AMC lifters to oil through pushrods. Magnum intake or have heads drilled and tapped for LA intake. Distributor?

get a crosswind/typhoon intake thats dual pattern drilled. and the rest of the Magnum swap stuff posted. 318 LA heads on a 360 are stump pullers but run out of steam fast.

In a 65 Barracuda, even a 2bbl,8/1 LA360 will burn rubber,for as long as the peg-leg 7.25 lasts. Then he will be carrying those groceries,when the cross pin tries to launch out the cover,lol so don't be buying ice-cream................... :(

Honestly, my opinion is it might be cheaper to buy a good running 360 magnum with a little over 100k miles for 350 bucks. Put a intake, oil pan/pickup, and put the LA timing cover/pulleys on it. Have it ready to install for less then 750 bucks. Just a thought....

There is a possibility that a 5.9 Magnum isn't as cheaply available where he's located.

There is a possibility that a 5.9 Magnum isn't as cheaply available where he's located.
If you have the money, you can get magnum heads from EQ. They even have them filled to support LA style intake manifolds and are cast with increased strength to fix the cracking problem. If not, see if you can find some swirl 80's swirl port heads at a wrecking yard. Just my two cents

...and either an electric fuel pump and associated return line or a snout extension for the stock cam.

is it worth the effort and money to use them. somebody put 69 J heads on the 76 360. just going from open to close chamber. I am a J and X head fan. my 67,69 barracuda's run them and I know what they will do. I was wondering if the swap would be better. 318 has somewhere around 1.92/162 valves is it true that the r/t magnum heads came with 2.02 intake valve.

If you have the money, you can get magnum heads from EQ. They even have them filled to support LA style intake manifolds and are cast with increased strength to fix the cracking problem. If not, see if you can find some swirl 80's swirl port heads at a wrecking yard. Just my two cents

I was replying to 318willrun in regards to a whole engine, not just the heads...

...and either an electric fuel pump and associated return line or a snout extension for the stock cam.

please, for your own piece of mind-don't do the cam snout extender...yes, it works. But, unless they improved the design, I had to get a machine shop to shave off .110" from the cup side so it would work as advertised...add $30 to the $30 you pay Hughes to get the parts in the first place.

is it worth the effort and money to use them. somebody put 69 J heads on the 76 360. just going from open to close chamber. I am a J and X head fan. my 67,69 barracuda's run them and I know what they will do. I was wondering if the swap would be better. 318 has somewhere around 1.92/162 valves is it true that the r/t magnum heads came with 2.02 intake valve.

I will let you know how mine turns out. 72 casting date 360, all stock bottom end with new oil pump and windage tray added. Summit 50052 flat tap hyd .454 218@.050"/272adv. cam. The summit lifters are amc compatible so they have the holes for pushrod oiling. Magnum timing set w/tensioner. 318 magnum heads.

To install these heads I got these parts:
Trickflow 7.650" pushrods. Hughes 1199 magnum spring kit. Professional Products Crosswind intake.

With the magnum 1.6 rocker ratio, my cam should be .484" lift. If you keep a stock 360 cam, keep the stock magnum springs/locks/retainers and save money.

IMG_20160903_152531.jpg

WeedTE="318willrun, post: 1971368713, member: 32076"]Honestly, my opinion is it might be cheaper to buy a good running 360 magnum with a little over 100k miles for 350 bucks. Put a intake, oil pan/pickup, and put the LA timing cover/pulleys on it. Have it ready to install for less then 750 bucks. Just a thought....[/QUOTE]
This.....Sweet improvement s,over an LA..If I built a full boogie engine,the LA.However,that Magnum mill ..is a sweet mill....

yea sure let me know how this works out, I did keep the magnum motor so my next step is have my NDI buddy check them for cracks.

-
Back