318,summit 6901

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
Ok I've been wanting to install a xe268 in my 318.but recently stumbled upon the summit 6901 cam.which would be a better cam?I have a 570 holley street avenger,performer intake,stock manifolds rite now but gonna get some headers.dual exhaust.currently has an awful 2.45 peg leg 8.25.but I. Going to swap in a 8.8 410.lsd.those are the basics.all stock otherwise.possibly find some 302 castings and portmatch them.904 trans stock convertor going to get a 2500 stall convertor.im confused on the 6901.sounds really good on a few videos.yet has 114.lsa.has low lift.sounds just as choppy as a xe268.

I know the 268 is good cam.im curious about the 6901.seems mild yet sounds somewhat choppy for 114.which one would make more power in a 318?

6901 is a rebuilder cam- you can get it from Elgin and others cheaper same as Edelbrock cam- neither is where it's at as far as power
take a look at the lobes on page 4 of this thread and makes some comments
440 rebuild
no way do you want to go with cams that are bigger than the 340 cam (which would almost be a better choice- I'll explain the almost if needed) for your build
as for the converter comment above- I agree
did you say what your compression ratio is and cranking compression?
btw there are several "268" cams seat duration is more than you want with what you have to work with

IMO the XE268 is a better grind (more aggressive lobes) so it'll make more power but it's kinda big for your application unless you get the 2500 stall, lower gears and better heads. I would still go with it over the Summit cam though cause it has a lot more potential

the lift on those two cams are way different.

the 6901 is IIRC .441-ish- almost can use the stock springs (I've been told people do)

the 268 is WAY bigger in all areas of cam geometry.

-
Back