318 swap

-

Patrykdart70

F'n New Guy
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new mopar owner with some engine experience, but tons of questions...

I currently purchased a 318 v8 from a 1977 dodge van (sportsman I believe)
and I am thinking of putting it in my 1970 dart slant 6

all parts are there.. would it be a direct mount up for the trans?

Is it even possible? is the 318 from 1977 the same basic engine as the 1970 318?

I have done some research, and can't find a lot of information about the trans...
Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to posting pics of her restoration :D

(reason of switch due to dime size hole in block)

One thing you are going to need is car oil pan.Wiring harness for a v8 is different.K-frame is different(you can get one for a v8 or modify the /6 with a motor mount kit .You will need a v8 s/b tranny.

Why not get the trans from the van. More than likely it's a 727 from a van. It will fit, but you need to look at the tail shaft housing. The cars had a long tail shaft and most of the trucks had a short housing. You want a long housing so your stock drive shaft will work.

thanks for the tip's..

so there is no way the original tranny will work with the v8?

Did your car come with a slant 6? If it did then it won't work. Wish you were closer, because I have everything that you need for the swap sitting in my garage.

One thing you are going to need is car oil pan.Wiring harness for a v8 is different.K-frame is different(you can get one for a v8 or modify the /6 with a motor mount kit .You will need a v8 s/b tranny.
and the pickup tube for the oil pump :coffee2:

I believe the /6 tranny and the V8 tranny bolt up differently. As for the engine swap itself, I just did one myself (318 into a previous /6 car). You will need to swap in a V8 K-member, or get a motor mount adapter kit. (http://www.engine-swaps.com/) I bought the kit with the intention of using them, but ended up just swapping in a whole V8 k-member. If you go the motor mount route, I still have the ones I bought unused. $160 and they're yours, I'll cover the shipping. I was told you also need to put in beefier torsion bars for the V8, which I did as well.

-
Back