318 timing w/msd 6a

-

WA71swinger

Reaction score
I have a 71 swinger with a 318. I have msd billet distibuter, mds 6a box and coil. My car is guttless with timing anywhere near timing marks when I put it on timing light. I run a full second faster in the 1/4 mile with the timing advanced almost 180 degrees (timing mark almost completely underneath on balancer). Rotor points directly at number one cylinder at TDC. Advancing this far cannot be good or safe. Anyone know whats up with that? My timing does not seem to advance adequately for higher rpm. This is a centrifical advance distributer (I believe), no vacuum cylinder on distributer. Can anyone explain how to re map the distributer timing/total timing, etc? Any resources or info would be helpful.

Is this the #8534 MSD distributor?

MSD 6 boxes are great ignitions, but can be pretty froggy with a timing light at idle because of the multiple sparks. Best to set the total advance above 3,000 rpm so you get a single spark from the box.

If you have the 8534, it came with a very mild advance set at the factory. Silver springs & the blue bushing will only give you a total of 20 degrees of mechanical advance @ 4000 rpm. At 3000, you will only have 15 degrees. So if you set it at 30 degrees total @ 3000 rpm, you will have 35 total, and a base advance of 15 to 17 at idle.

A lot depends on the engine. how much cam, how big the carb is, what intake, etc.

B.

Don't know if I am posting this correctly. Thank you and yes it is the 8534 distributor. It came with the car. Can I get different springs and bushings? Is it difficult to swap them? Make correct adjustments? Is it just trial and error? If cam and all that matters I will wait until I have the 360 I am building complete. It has a much bigger cam, etc. Thanks for all the info. Let me know how to compose repplies if this is not done correctly. There is Message: at the top of this box (under title box) but I cannot write anything there. Dave

Is this the #8534 MSD distributor?

MSD 6 boxes are great ignitions, but can be pretty froggy with a timing light at idle because of the multiple sparks. Best to set the total advance above 3,000 rpm so you get a single spark from the box.

If you have the 8534, it came with a very mild advance set at the factory. Silver springs & the blue bushing will only give you a total of 20 degrees of mechanical advance @ 4000 rpm. At 3000, you will only have 15 degrees. So if you set it at 30 degrees total @ 3000 rpm, you will have 35 total, and a base advance of 15 to 17 at idle.

A lot depends on the engine. how much cam, how big the carb is, what intake, etc.

B.

That distributor came with a kit of parts to adjust it - springs & bushings. If you did not get them from the previous owner, they are available from MSD and some speed shops.

With the cap off, grab the rotor and twist it toward the advance direction. It should move 10 degrees or so with light pressure. If it does no move at all, someone has locked out the advance.

Here is the instruction sheet for that distributor:

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/distributors/8534_instructions.pdf

B.

-
Back