318 to 360 swap screwed up big please help!!!

-
Yea, I have some strange stuff going on too. I tell yea... NEVER think your done! Lol! It never ends! Every time I think... "One more part to go." I always find something else! I'm not working right now either, and I'm married! Trust me I understand!!
Every time I pull one monkey out of my butt, I have to hope theirs 2 or three more in there! :)

This mount you listed shows to fit 318, 340 and 360. Isn't it the same as what your 318 already has?

1973-1976 Plymouth Duster
V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - GAS
V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - GAS O.H.V.
V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - 2BBL GAS OHV
V8 - 5.9L vin L 360ci - 4BBL GAS OHV
[340] V8 - 5.6L vin H 340ci - GAS
[360] V8 - 5.9L vin L 360ci - GAS O.H.V.
[360] V8 - 5.9L vin L 360ci - 4BBL GAS OHV
[Custom] V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - 2BBL GAS OHV

1970-1973 Plymouth Duster
V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - GAS
[340] V8 - 5.6L vin H 340ci - GAS

1974-1975 Plymouth Duster
V8 - 5.2L vin G 318ci - GAS O.H.V.
[360] V8 - 5.9L vin L 360ci - GAS O.H.V.

1975 Plymouth Duster

What I ment to say was that I had pulled both pans. I was planning on swapping them, but hadn't bought a pan gasket yet. I guess that's one more thing I need to go looking for. Nothing's ever easy!!! And I checked the casting number, it's a 360.

OK...that changes things. 318 and 360 pans dont swap, and you need a CAR pan AND pickup to use the 360 in a car....truck/motorhome/anything else won't work.

I did already pull my whole oil pump and pick up out of the 318 and bolted it into the 360. I figured that since I didn't know anything about the 360 pump, and I know that the one in the 318 works awsome, I might as well swap 'em. It looked the same(minus the pick up) and bolted in without any problem. Hopefully there wasn't anything wrong with that.
About the mounts, I have no idea if they're right. That's why I posted. What I have in the car are flat squares with oval holes, the 318 has 3 sided boxed bracket style mounts, the picture on oreilly looks like a spool mount to me, like I said, the reason I posted it is because I was hoping some one could tell me if they'll work, or if there is something else I need.
Thanks again for all the help.

I did already pull my whole oil pump and pick up out of the 318 and bolted it into the 360. I figured that since I didn't know anything about the 360 pump, and I know that the one in the 318 works awsome, I might as well swap 'em. It looked the same(minus the pick up) and bolted in without any problem. Hopefully there wasn't anything wrong with that.

Not sure if that 318 pickup will work with the 360 car pan...you'll just have to see.
About the mounts, I have no idea if they're right. That's why I posted. What I have in the car are flat squares with oval holes, the 318 has 3 sided boxed bracket style mounts, the picture on oreilly looks like a spool mount to me, like I said, the reason I posted it is because I was hoping some one could tell me if they'll work, or if there is something else I need.
Thanks again for all the help.

Sounds like you have the old style biscuit mounts to me. Does your K Member resemble this....? If yes, then you don't have spool mounts.

2-K-Member.jpg

That is it exactly! Sooooooooooooooooooooo... What do I need? And is it something that I can walk into an auto parts store and buy as an O.E. replacement part? Please don't tell me I need more special order stuff or I'm gonna pull my hair out!!!
Sorry, had to vent. I really do appreciate the help though.

Your K frame is 1972 and earlier.

I think you have to have the tall mounts because of clearance. It looks like those are tall mounts in the picture I posted.

If the short mounts are what you need the Anchor part number is 2266. I got mine from Orileys for $7.99 each. I got some spares at Advance Auto Parts and they were only $3.99 same brand and part number.

sorry, missed that. what about the brackets? I only have 1 for the 360. I've heard that you can use the 318 ones even though only 2 of the 3 bolts line up.

So lets regroup here. You have:
74 Duster
pre-72 K frame
RV 360

As stated before you will need:
1. "bisket" style motor mounts. (make sure you do your home work to see if it is a slant six k frame) It make take yet another style mount!

2. Car oil pan.

3. Matching Oil pump pick up.

4. Correct torque converter or Flex plate to use standard torque converter.

5. May need a 90 degree oil filter adapter if you are using certain headers.

6. As far as I know, ALL of the brackets for alternator, A/C, and whatnot, will bolt up just fine. I know all the small block "wedge" motors share the same patterns through out the heads, water pumps, and blocks, so you should have all the brackets you need if the car ran before.

Hopefully, there is a bit more info from some other guys too, but I think this really covers most of it.

Oh and dont forget the cost that may come if you need to match you exhaust up to the new headers, or maybe a whole new system. Theres a few hundred bucks also.

I talked to another guy from here last night on the phone and he's mailing me a pan.

After removing the bottom plate for inspection on both pumps to see which ones better, I should have a pump, gonna use the car pick up from the 318 (after a thorough cleaning)

I already ordered the B&M balanced flexplate

I already swapped my remote mounted oil filter, hoses, ect

The brackets ARE the same (alt., P.S. pump, ect...)

the exhaust I'm not worried about, nothing a little cutting and welding won't fix if it comes down to it.

The guy I talkd to on the phone last night also told me that I could go ahead and use the brackets/mounts off the 318 even though only 2 of the three holes line up and I'll be ok.

Soooooooooooooo... Hopefully I'm good now. We'll see when the parts start showing up.
This has all been quite the learning experience. Very humbling. I've replaced 318's and 360's, and even put in a 318 where a s6 had been with the schumaker mounts on my high school car, but this is the first time I've ever gone from 318 to 360. I just never thought about it. I pulled whole engine/tranny combo's from the wrecking yard on the replacement motors and since I was going from same to same, there weren't any issues. The s6 conversion was on a gutted car. I had money at the time and just ordered everything new, starting from scratch, and knowing it was a TOTAL conversion, it was no big deal. I just never thought about there being so many little differances between these 2 motors.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS

I ahve a 74 swinger with a 360 in it. The motor mounts i have look nothing like i have ever seen before. I will post them and see if that helps you. I also have a 360 oil pan sitting in my basement. I took it off and put on a millodon. It has a dent in it but make and offer and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks, but the guy I talked to last night said that he was gonna mail out the pan today, so I think it's a little late for that. I'm gonna go take some pics of my set up too, I think that would save some headache.

Glad to see its all coming together.
Now.. Just a tid bit. My Mother and grand mother live in Grayland still. My grandparents owned a hotel and restaurant there for many years. She sold the hotel about 10-15 years ago I think. Its the Place near the state park at the corner. They had a few mobile homes there too as well as a few camp / park spots. She owned the restaurant that was on the opposite side of the highway and back toward west port about a mile from the hotel. I still know a few people that live in that area. I may be headed out there next year to see family. That town is certainly named appropriatly! Its always Gray there!!!!

Gotta hit the "go advanced" at the bottom, and then before you "upload" make sure they are the correct size or it wont let you.

Um, it asks me for a url. Does that mean that I have to find some other place on the internet to post them first?

Here are the brackets on my motor. They have a big rubber peice under it. This was done when i got the car so i just put it back after i was done with the motor.

CIMG0459.jpg

CIMG0460.jpg

can anyone tell what type of k frame that is? i was told it was a slant six but i ordered some brackets from year one when i worked on the motor and they didnt look right at all.

OK, gonna try this again, here's some pics. The flex plate showed up today.
I got an oil pan comming in the mail, what else do I need???

engine bay.jpg

old motor.jpg

360 with 318 mount.jpg

360 with 360 mount.jpg

OK, here's the breakdown:
The green and orange mill is the 318,
the blue, rust, and greese colored one is the 360
The orange mount is from the 318 and the rusty one is from the 360

The flex plate showed up today and I have an oil pan on the way. What else do I need?

-
Back