318 to 360 swap

-

stumblinhorse

Reaction score
I read all the posts about "don't waste time on a 318 just swap to 360". I have researched it and that doesn't seem like that is cost effective anymore. I am sure I am missing something tho! I think to do the swap you have to get a new flywheel that is balanced for a 360. Those are at least $200? Not sure where you get one of those that works for all bell housings and starters? Also that means new clutch etc if you have a manual. Also you have to find a 360 block, Currently those are about 6-7 times the cost of a 318 block. $750 vs $100. I even see 340 blocks cheaper and more available than 360s on my local area craigslist.

So already you are into the swap for $1000 more for a few more horsepower. I know I am not that knowledgeable in all this stuff so please correct me.

I think a nice 390 stroker is the most cost effective way to to upgrade. Not a whole lot more money then simply redoing a 318 stock.(depends on the heads you want!)

I have a real nice brand new set of 318/390 stroker rods for sale....just haven't had time to advertise them.

treblig

Well, if you have a manual transmission, it does run a little more money. However, i don't know about the prices of where you are at, but I can get a running 360 magnum complete between 350-450 anytime i want. LA 360's range between 200 - 500 complete, depending if it's a good running motor or not.
But, the 318 stroker (390) is a very successful build, and you'll be 30 cubes ahead. :)

You can buy a 95-2000 ram with a 5.9 for 400 to 800 around here off of cl.
Tbey are either wreaked or need a tranmission rebuild.
I have 5 of them at the moment that I am using to fix up differant projects.

Then I will cl the body parts to recover my money and have very little cost involved in the engines.

I went from a 318 to a 408 6 Pack. :thumbsup:

IMG_24951.jpg

I do agree that you can pick up a 5.9 dodge truck if you want a block and then CL the leftovers. Not sure that works for me, I am not in an area that people will come to buy stuff. But there are many LA318 blocks on CL for pickup for $100-150..

408 Crate motors are easy to find and would love to go that route. Where do you get the flywheel that will work for a Manual and mechanical clutch bell?

In the OP's altitude, the 390 would work great, he'd have a lot more bottom end grunt.

408 Crate motors are easy to find and would love to go that route. Where do you get the flywheel that will work for a Manual and mechanical clutch bell?

Depending on how it is balanced will dictate the flywheel. Some are neutral balance and some are externally balanced.
I would use a scatter shield.

The main advantages of going with larger displacement for a given hp level is getting away with higher rear gears and lower stall and better street manners. Since you have standard only gears and manners matter.

Ruffly every 20 cid moves your powerband up or down 200-300 rpm. Thats not meant to be written in stone. Theres tons of other factors.

A 318 is gonna be slightly hotter then a similar built 340 and a 360 will slightly milder than the 340 but noticeably over the 318 :)

In my research, from the Denver area, I see that a mildly build 340(400HP) can be had for about $5k.
340 mopar forged with edelbrock heads. Obviously would have to check out the specs etc of the build of something off CL. But have seen a couple of these in the $4-5k range in the last 6 months.

A short trip from here is Blueprint, and a dressed 408 is also $5k, but then you have the the complexity of the fly and clutch, that adds about $1k to the cost for my manual. So I'll call that $6k all in.

To get a 390, I would need to have/do a custom build for me and have discussed with a couple builders and the prices are about the same or so. But it will bolt right up, like the 340.

In my research, from the Denver area, I see that a mildly build 340(400HP) can be had for about $5k.
340 mopar forged with edelbrock heads. Obviously would have to check out the specs etc of the build of something off CL. But have seen a couple of these in the $4-5k range in the last 6 months.

A short trip from here is Blueprint, and a dressed 408 is also $5k, but then you have the the complexity of the fly and clutch, that adds about $1k to the cost for my manual. So I'll call that $6k all in.

To get a 390, I would need to have/do a custom build for me and have discussed with a couple builders and the prices are about the same or so. But it will bolt right up, like the 340.

If you have the 408 internally balanced then it will bolt up to the same flywheel and clutch assembly as a 318 or 340.

340 mopar forged with edelbrock heads. Obviously would have to check out the specs etc of the build of something off CL. But have seen a couple of these in the 4-5k range in the last 6 months.

That's the beauty of the 390, you don't have to spend money on another motor (block), trans, front engine brackets, motor mounts, etc, etc etc. I had planned to build a 390 stroker but had a change in plans and still have the new 390 stroker rods.

treblig

That's the beauty of the 390, you don't have to spend money on another motor (block), trans, front engine brackets, motor mounts, etc, etc etc. I had planned to build a 390 stroker but had a change in plans and still have the new 390 stroker rods.

treblig

Doesn't a stroker use the same 6.123 length rods as a regular small block Mopar?

Doesn't a stroker use the same 6.123 length rods as a regular small block Mopar?
Yes, I believe so... but they will help with the extra load they will endure under the higher torque and horsepower:

DSC07778.JPG
DSC07779.JPG

Treblig

Last edited:
Sorry to say but Air Shocks for the time until I get better leaf springs. :(

Yes....and no offence Treblig, but I would not use those rods in any stroker application...maybe for a stock rebuild....maybe.....

Looks like I am going to save up my dollars for @ou812 to build me a EFI 390! Spend the money on the go fast parts instead of getting new flywheel, clutch and bell!

Yes....and no offence Treblig, but I would not use those rods in any stroker application...maybe for a stock rebuild....maybe.....
No offense taken.....I have no need for the rods so I'm selling them, I'll start advertising them soon.

treblig

-
Back