318 to 360

-

Hankrebel

Reaction score
I have 71 swinger automatic with stock 318 and rebuilt 904.

I have a chance on a 360(cheap) that possibly came out of a early model truck.
The seller says he does not know much about this engine and but says it looks like it has never been opened up.
Say the motor is good, what an I looking at swapping the 318 for this 360?
Oil pan I'm sure if it were a truck 360.

Different motor mount on the drivers side. Truck pan/oil pickup will be different than car and the 318 pan will not fit. Balance is different between the 318 and 360 so someone will need to guide you there on the torque converter or weighted flex plate.

Go into it thinking that at best the 360 is a core. It's used, God knows what has been done.

Different motor mount on the drivers side. Truck pan/oil pickup will be different than car and the 318 pan will not fit. Balance is different between the 318 and 360 so someone will need to guide you there on the torque converter or weighted flex plate.

Go into it thinking that at best the 360 is a core. It's used, God knows what has been done.

Yeah I already realize its a crap shoot, but for $150 it may be really worth it. Would the upgraded torque converter I have now work?

I would contact the MFG of the converter. You might need to remove a weight off the converter body or add a weighted flex plate. If your 318 internally balanced or what year is it? LA engine and Autos are a gray area for me. I've only dealt with manuals and autos mated to B/RB engines. Someone on here should know, but we'll need to know the balance of your 318 and if the torque converter is weighted or not.

Yes your convertor would work. You would need the aftermarket flex plate that allows you to run any neutral balance converter behind a external balance small block.

Torque convertor will work. Weighted flex plate for an externally balanced 360 to mate to a 904 trans. Summit has them for about $104.98. I'm getting ready to build a .030 360 and will mate it to a 904. Going in an '85 Gran Fury that is drag raced. Currently has a stock bored '71 318 with 74 360 heads, air gap intake, .474 MP lift cam and 650 double pumper with headers and 3 inch exhaust with a 4.56 8 3/4 rear end and 4500 stall convertor. Currently runs mid to upper 8.60's on the 1/8 mile at 80 mph. Want more out of it so going 360. But saving that engine combo.

$150 "is" a hell of a deal. I'm lookin at $3G to get a stock LA or Mag 360 crate long block with nothing else on it. I have a 360LA in it now, strongly considering going to the Mag though.

$150 "is" a hell of a deal. I'm lookin at $3G to get a stock LA or Mag 360 crate long block with nothing else on it. I have a 360LA in it now, strongly considering going to the Mag though.
Its 2 hours away so I may go look at it. Hopefully its a magnum that I can swap the heads out for the EQ or possible some Edelbrock.
Doing some research looks like the weighted flex plate will work with the 904. Thanks Guys!

Magnum balance and pan are different from 360. But you can put LA front cover/ etc on a mag on run a 360 pan. You can run EQ/ mag heads on a 360, in fact you can have them drilled to accept an LA intake, which won't fit a stock magnum. There are only a couple of intakes that fit stock drilled magnum heads

Biggest problem I see if it's a mag is the balance problem. They are NOT the same weighting as a 360, you need a mag balancer and whatever correct weighting for the (aftermarket) flex plate

Will the alternator, AC compressor and power steering pump bolt up the same?

Same as what? LA stuff will not bolt to a magnum. If you use the LA style timing cover then yes. Not sure, but I think some balancers are thicker/ thinner, so you might have a pulley alignment problem. There seems to be, LOL, and unlimited amount of pulley combos over the years

So the seller was able to send me some numbers off the engine, but I don't recognize this as the engine casting number:
1978 Engine - 8W3606017
Heads - 4027596
It is definitely not a magnum if its a 78.

So is this LA360 worth the time and money to replace a LA318?

Kinda depends on the condition of the 318 and what you want to do with the car.
  • Going to the grocery store? Not worth the effort IMHO.
  • Racing around? Maybe.
  • Re-building for a hot rod motor? Very probably.
Sure gonna be more torque, but a 78 360 is a low compression smog motor so is per se not a rocket out the the box. I agree that for $150, and all the unknown and possible made-up things like 'looks like it has never been opened up', I'd consider this as a core. So if you were planning on dropping it in and taking off, it is a crapshoot.

Kinda depends on the condition of the 318 and what you want to do with the car.
  • Going to the grocery store? Not worth the effort IMHO.
  • Racing around? Maybe.
  • Re-building for a hot rod motor? Very probably.
Sure gonna be more torque, but a 78 360 is a low compression smog motor so is per se not a rocket out the the box. I agree that for $150, and all the unknown and possible made-up things like 'looks like it has never been opened up', I'd consider this as a core. So if you were planning on dropping it in and taking off, it is a crapshoot.
If I did buy it, I would go with a rebuild with new heads, cam and intake.
Possible over bore if it can take it.

-
Back