-
Status
Not open for further replies.

169dart4y

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I have a 318 with a/c but I want to run the car for a while without the a/c .

Does anyone have photo's of what I'm looking for or advise?

Can I run the A/c compressor belts with out the hoses on the compressor? Will I have to cap the compressor off?

You could leave it intact, disconnect the power leg to the magnetic clutch. It will free wheel, very little power loss. The heaviest part of the system is the compressor. Even if you don't pull the power feed as long as it's turned off it won't rob much.

Let me get this right as long as I don't run juice 12V to the compressor or should I unhook one belt.

I know as long as you don't turn it on it isn't pulling much power from the motor . The car I'm putting it in is a non air car so no juice yet 12v.
At some point I might run a under the dash a/c unit off the compressor.
We'll see Thanks for the help

So I don't have to worry about capping off where the hoses go?

Leave the system charged, don't disconnect the hoses! You'll spray freon and oil all over if you try to remove the hoses. It's under pressure and if you do it by the book...should be evacuated by a mechanic. The front of the compressor has a pulley that;s coupled to a magnetic clutch. When you turn the A/C on it clamps and turns the compressor. If you want to be sure that it isn't on pull the hot leg (black wire, I think thats the color, to the front of the compressor). If you pull the belts, you might want to change the pulleys to a standard , non air setup. I would just pull the fuse or power leg and enjoy it. Occasionally you should run the air conditioner to keep the seals lubed. One other thing, the air is turned on when you run the defrosters..so disconnect the power leg, insulate the end and enjoy!

I just saw it's a new install, don't run that compressor without the freon and oil in the system. Just mount the compressor and leave the belts as they are. You'll have to get different pulleys for A/C. I saw somebody on here had the dash vents for A/C for sale.

I "hacked" the A/C from under the hood of my '70 Duster 318 only because the system was totally empty and I don't really need it where I live. I also thought it would be nice shaving 60 lbs. from the very top-front of the engine. I had to play around with different pulleys for a while until I finally figured out that there are different depths of the crank pulley... You need a 2-groove for the crank pulley that's a little over 3" deep and a deeper non-A/C single-groove water pump pulley. HOWEVER if your system is still charged and functional and you don't want to completely convert to non-A/C then just do what the other members suggested and disconnect the power supply for the clutch magnet.

I have a 318 with a/c but I want to run the car for a while without the a/c .

Does anyone have photo's of what I'm looking for or advise?

Can I run the A/c compressor belts with out the hoses on the compressor? Will I have to cap the compressor off?

I have a 68 Satellite non/AC with power steering. I can give you all the pulleys and attaching bolts PLUS the alternator brackets (sorry no bolts or spacers) for $60. I will also cover the shipping in the lower 48.
318pulleys

Also, all factory ac units have a pressure switch located on the dryer. If the freon is low, or a hose is disconnected, it will not allow power to the compressor. You will not have to worry about pulling fuses,etc. The worst thing about an open system is moisture which usually causes the thin metal "reed valve" in the compressor to rust, making it necessary to replace the unit. Also be warned: If you plan to convert to a NON AC heater system: The firewall is radically different. It will require hacking up or replacement. Also the dash, wiring and heater controls are very different as well. You will need a whole parts car to do the switch right.

new318motor.jpg
The front pulley water pump harmonic and the power steering.
The middle bottom to alternator under the water pump.
I do need the triangular bracket that hold the alternator to the water pump?

Then I could remove the A/c compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back