340 Blocks Need Sleeves

-

75 Duster 360

Reaction score
I have a 1971 and a 1973 Mopar 340 engine block. Both of them have been bored .040" over. Both of them need one sleeve replaced. One is busted badly and the other has one deep gouge in it. Are these blocks worth repairing? How much does it cost to have a sleeve replaced? If the blocks need to be bored again to .050" or .060", will they still be strong enough? Just wondering whether to fix them or take them to the crusher. I have the cranks and rods for both of them and 7 pistons from the one that busted.

Check with a local machine shop and see what they get to sleeve blocks. You might have to bore the other 7 cylinders another .020, but that's not a bad thing unless the pistons cost a fortune. A few years ago, it wasn't that expensive but prices have gone up with the economy. Just my .02.

Not sure about the cost of having them sleeved, but you might want to post the vin #'s before trashing them. Might be worth some money for the person with the cars they came out of.

The machine shop I use gets 125 for a sleeve. That's parts and labor.

They are getting harder to come by and are desirable blocks. I wouldn't trash them someone will find a home/use for them even in that condition.

Pretty common to sleeve these old rare blocks. its about $100 here to sleeve a cylinder. It actually makes them stronger as the sleeve is made from a stronger material than the original cast.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will list them for sale. What is the scrap metal worth of a 340 block? What are they worth in their current condition?

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will list them for sale. What is the scrap metal worth of a 340 block? What are they worth in their current condition?

I just took a load of loose metal scrap in yesterday, and it was 200.00 a ton,
but I'm sure cast iron is a little more. I'm not sure what the bare block weighs, but if is 200 pounds, you would get about 20-30 dollars each for them. surely they got to be worth a little more, to someone that can use them. Good luck.

-
Back