340 cam suggestions

-
Manual? Auto? Converter stall?

What's your budget? Flat tappet or roller? You got adjustable rockers?

flat tappet

What i Have is a 73 340 that was rebuilt i 1990 and stored since i took intake off
looks pretty clean but decided to take to machine shop for tear down and inspection
guy said the cam in it is purple cam 284 484 looks new but saw a rough spot on one of the lobes so probably needs replaced. You can run finger over it and feel the spot its in the middle of the lobe. Engine was never fired after rebuild.

Recommendation

Car...................... 1971 Scamp
Shipping Weight ... #3100 lbs.
Engine ................ 340
Pistons ................ L-2316 {9.5-1 Compression}
Cylinder Heads ..... 'J'-Head > 2.02 Intake Valve/1.60" Exhaust Valves
Gears .................. 4.11
Transmission......... Automatic

Suggested 'Mechanical' Camshaft for Optimal Street-use

Crane Cams 'Zip-510'
Lift .................... .510"
Duration ............. 310*
Duration @ .050" . 254*
Overlap ............... 86*
LSA .................... 112*

Look for one close to these specifications. A Monster Street Camshaft.

want to go hydraulic

There are MANY cam grinders who would like to talk to you about YOUR particular combo, rather than a cataloge cam. Cam Motion, Racer Brown, Bullet are 3 that come to mind who grind the cam when you order it, not pull some crap cam off the shelf. The price is negilible. Hell, ever the Erson cam guy is floating around on here. Just call someone before you order a cam. Never take a forum answer as gospel.

I would bet money on this though...if you call Comp (the very LAST place I would get a cam from) you will get something on a 110 LSA, Cam Motion 110, Racer Brown 106-107, Bullet 108 ish and Erson for me, is an unknown.
I would never run wider than 110 on a slush box with 4.11 gears. That would be the widest LSA I'd ever use. But that's me. Call the cam grinders and see what they say, then post what they all say. It would be interesting and educational for all.

Just for the record (because I only do what I tell others) my current combo is a 4.56 gear and the cam is 268 @ .050, .370 lobe with 104 LSA going it at 99 ICL. I will end up at 11.25:1 compression on CI heads and pump gas.

Have used this cam with great results Lunati "voodoo" part#10200703lk .494/.513 lift:D:D

Mopar cams are old and outdated grinds way better cams out there...

what option are they if I do not want to machine the heads they were redone during rebuild I gave 1700 for rebuilt motor the found new cam was hit during install I have it at machine shop for tear down clean inspect and reassemble.

-
Back