340 duster call out numbers on the quarter panel removal adhesive question

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I'm in the process Of redoing the 340 on the quarter panel on my duster Remove the vinyl numbers which was easy , but there is A ridge around the parameter of Where the numbers used to be.I can't get rid of it. Tried three m Adhesive. remover... I tried goofoff adhesive remover, Also tried lighter fluids.I can still fill a ridge with my fingernail. Is thoughts

We use this stuff when we remove the decals from the race cars. It’s works well and does not mess up the paint.

IMG_4223.jpeg

Try an eraser.

I have not done it myself but I have seen several videos of an eraser like ball on the end of a stick in a drill motor.

I'm in the process Of redoing the 340 on the quarter panel on my duster Remove the vinyl numbers which was easy , but there is A ridge around the parameter of Where the numbers used to be.I can't get rid of it. Tried three m Adhesive. remover... I tried goofoff adhesive remover, Also tried lighter fluids.I can still fill a ridge with my fingernail. Is thoughts
Find one of these.

Pep Boys maybe??

https://www.amazon.ca/Polishing-Remover-Repair-Universal-Stickers/dp/B09PHCG3C3?tag=fabo03-20

Thanks for the quick replies.It kind of feels like maybe the stickers were put on before the clear coat had dried.I'm not sure.
I don't even know if that is possible.. But then again, it kind of feels just like build up around the old numbers.It's not a whole sticker but he said that is on there just around the edges of the old numbers

Try an eraser.

I have not done it myself but I have seen several videos of an eraser like ball on the end of a stick in a drill motor.
They work good. I got one from the paint shop for about 30 bucks. Just have to run it slow as you can burn the paint.

Is there a fix
Whew!! This is a tough one!!

Ok, here's what I would do.

1. Wet sand the whole area around the number outlines to get rid of as much of the edge as you can. Then, buff out the finish.

2. Carefully align each of the numbers over the correct locations . This should hide the previous outlines with the new numbers. Take your time with this.

3. Another option is to make a stencil using the new numbers. Then, after wet sanding , tape the stencil directly over the numbers location and paint the numbers on the car.

Either way, the final result will depend upon the amount of detail you pay to number location and placement of the vinyl numbers or the stencil.

1. Wet sand the whole area around the number outlines to get rid of as much of the edge as you can. Then, buff out the finish.

2. Carefully align each of the numbers over the correct locations . This should hide the previous outlines with the new numbers. Take your time with this.

3. Another option is to make a stencil using the new numbers. Then, after wet sanding , tape the stencil directly over the numbers location and paint the numbers on the car.

Either way, the final result will depend upon the amount of detail you pay to number location and placement of the vinyl numbers or the stencil.
Thanks... Nothing's ever easy lol

I talked to a painter today.He said it looked like somebody taped them up and then painted He said it would have to be repained into whole quarter panel to make it look Now i'm wondering if I Find the right Size numbers again And just put them back on Or figure out a way just to paint them

I talked to a painter today.He said it looked like somebody taped them up and then painted He said it would have to be repained into whole quarter panel to make it look Now i'm wondering if I Find the right Size numbers again And just put them back on Or figure out a way just to paint them
His way...

Easy for him, expensive for you..

You will need to remove the rest of the stripes, then sand out the panels, prime, paint and , hopefully, color match to the rest of the cars finish.

Then, you will need a new stripe package and install it.

My suggestion will work and its much cheaper but you need to spend the time to do it properly.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers!!

His way...

Easy for him, expensive for you..

You will need to remove the rest of the stripes, then sand out the panels, prime, paint and , hopefully, color match to the rest of the cars finish.

Then, you will need a new stripe package and install it.

My suggestion will work and its much cheaper but you need to spend the time to do it properly.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers!!
Thanks, I like your way better LO.L

Before you do all that work can you at least try the wet sand idea?

Personally, I would wet sand 1000 grit (like you were working down orange peel) and take your time, by hand, with a block. Then 2000 when the ridge is gone/less. And see if you still have clear left after its smooth. If you do, then just polish it back with high quality polish.

If you don't, then take it to a painter and have them do a quick clear spot fog and polish it back. You will have to remove the upper decal, but when done it should be very nice.

At least, this is what I would try if I wanted to try and get it right without complete panel repaint or spending big bucks.

Good luck,
RGAZ

Thanks, everyone I followed the directions.The best I can I did the best I can.It'll have to work until it's done better, but I can live with it for now.L o l

20240426_135352.jpg

20240426_134305.jpg

not sure how this would look BUT...

if you contacted one of the decal makers who make the 340 numbers they might be able to make numbers that are 1/16" larger all the way around and after smoothing the area you apply them over the area to hide the change in color.

If the official decal makers cant make it, a signs-to-go could take a new one, scan it and enlarge it accordingly.

-
Back