340 engine/assemble questions

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
I am almost finished with the assembly of my '70 340 and have 2 questions.

What does the 'R3' mean that is stamped on the front of the block mean?

and

the head gasket (Felpro) has a 2 tabs protruding beyond the head, one in front and one in back, where the intake manifold is supposed to set. What do I do with those? Just trim them off?

Thanks,

Doug

The R3 means you need to sell me that block. ;) It's an aftermarket MP block and a fantastic foundation for a kick-*** SB. Re: the tabs. After assembly, bend them or remove them.

The R3 means you need to sell me that block. ;) It's an aftermarket MP block and a fantastic foundation for a kick-*** SB. Re: the tabs. After assembly, bend them or remove them.
Your kidding me right? It has this stamped also:
FW340P32100304

The R3 blocks are not production blocks. They are Mopar Performance parts. The R series blocks replaced the MP X blocks. So an R3 block will not be a 1970 340 block. X blocks,and all the R series blocks are non production car pieces and were Mopar performance " direct connection" racing blocks. I am not saying your block is not a R3 block, but you said that you were almost done assembling your '70 340. Hope this helps you.
Matt

He is not kidding you. The X, R1, R2 , R3, R4,& I think they had a R5 for nascar were the 340 race blocks. The x's were around starting in the mid.70's & they changed to the r's in the late 80's.Congrats.

Oldschoolcuda

He is not kidding you. The X, R1, R2 , R3, R4,& I think they had a R5 for nascar were the 340 race blocks. The x's were around starting in the mid.70's & they changed to the r's in the late 80's.Congrats.

Oldschoolcuda
There is an "X' in bigger font next to the 'R3'..about an 1&1/2 seperates the two.

All this stuff shows up, looking at the front of the block, just under the right cylinder head.

I did not notice it before the engine went in for machine work because it was covered with gunk. I just noticed it this afternoon.

But....in the normal location(s) that contains the casting date and number it does say 11-20-69 and has the casting number 2780930-340-2.

And..this engine has the original J heads date coded 1-18-70/1-19-70. 2.02/1.66

I did not ask this question to cause a stir. Just thought it was strange that the block has all this info stamped on the front.

But I like hearing the theories. Part of history I guess.

Here are a couple pictures of the Mopar performance "X" block and "R" block. They have a Big X or R depending on the type or series of block under the passenger cylinder head in the front.

PHOTO1.jpg

PHOTO7-s.gif

Here are a couple pictures of the Mopar performance "X" block and "R" block. They have a Big X or R depending on the type or series of block under the passenger cylinder head in the front.
I can assure you to the "X" is not that big and its on the drivers side. There is no way this is an MP block.

Maybe the "FW" in the part number I mentioned earlier is a factory warranty block replaced under warranty. Thanks for the picture.

Is this scribed or stamped in the block. If so someone is messing with you.

It's NOT and R series block with that casting date and those numbers FW stamped in the front.

Did'nt notice you also had stamped #'s on drivers side. So did some more research and found out all of the race blocks were based on production tooling & cast by the production foundrys. Like the guys said I would think it would'nt have FW340P32100304 on drivers side. FW stands for widsor plant,340P is 340 premium fuel and it dates to being built in may of 1970 like mattsmopars said. The r's didn't even show up until the late 1980's. Very interesting.

-
Back