340 FAN CLUTCH QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've got a couple of fan clutches with the bi-metal spring mounted on the front. Is there a way to check them to see if they are any good without mounting and running them on an engine? Thanks.

You should be able to freewheel them when cold. Get a hair dryer and heat up the front area, not too much heat!
(You could also boil a 6 quart pot of water on the stove and support the clutch above the boiling water.)

And you should start to feel drag.

Not a guarantee that with the load of a fan it will work correctly but might be Isn indicator

Last edited:
Some of those are designed to fail in the closed position , so that, first start every morning, you will hear the fan roaring for a bit, before it settles down.
I have one like that, and I like it cuz when I hear it, I know we are good to go.

Sometimes, you can also tighten the spring up one round and they will tighten up if they are loose. Most of the time though, that looks them up too much.

If I check them both on the shelf in the same ambient temperature, one is harder than the other one to turn by hand. Not sure if one is better than the other?

1970 Service manual

Screenshot (46).png

-
Back