340 Find

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
I have located a 340 that could be of use to replace the 318 in my Swinger. Below is the description in the add. He is asked $1,500. Does this seem fair?

"I have a 1970 340 motor that came out of a duster. I still have the title for the car the motor came out of. This motor was raced in the early eighty's and it ran the best of 11.77 in a barracuda. Motor needs rebuilt because its been sitting in a garage for 20 years. It was never hurt and had 80 psi oil pressure last time it ran. It is missing the rocker arms and push-rods."

How much would you pay for a rebuildable core? That's what you're buying.

If it's not rebuildable you just ate 1,500$.

This 340 cost me $250 back in January.

20171218_102152.jpg

A bit steep for sure. I have a completely rebuilt 360 with 9.5 to 1 Speed Pro pistons and a x268h comp cam I'll sell you for $2500. It's complete from air cleaner to oil pan.

You would be way ahead of the game to buy a junkyard magnum engine and use your 318 A-body la engine parts to put it in your Swanger.

Or buy hellrats engine.

1500? guy is nuts for an engine sitting 20 years. UNLESS it has the full 6 pack setup with carbs, then I could kind of see it but even then, it'd be overpriced

It all depends on where it's been sitting, If the cyls have been oiled and the engine turns over. you need to look in the ports for rust and pull the heads and oil pan and inspect it. if it all looks good it's a fair deal. Ask any of these guys to sell you a 340 for $400 or $500

I paid $1,500 for complete 340 a while back-oil pan to air cleaner. It was advertised as a '71 (that was the casting date). After I got it home, I found by way of serial number is was originally built as a '73 motor. Inside was pretty rusty. What I salvaged were the .040 over aftermarket cast pistons (high compression), a forged crankshaft, the stock 340 rods, the cylinder block, and "J" cylinder heads (1.88 intake valves). All parts magnafluxed OK, but it seems number eight cylinder is sleeved, which doesn't bother me.

I guess the '68 intake manifold, the 70 Carter AVS from a low-performance 440, windage tray, front sump oil pan could have been salvaged also (but I have other replacement plans for those items). This motor turned out to be a real "hodgepodge" of parts, but at least a forged crankshaft was part of the mix.

The valve covers, complete valve train, single point distributor, and camshaft (.509 purple shaft) were too rusty to do anything. I would always replace the water pump, timing cover and chain, oil pump, pump shaft, and fuel pump anyway.

My plans are to regrind the crank, recondition the cylinder heads with new parts, hone the cylinders, and put it all back together with new rings and bearings. I like the '68--69 style 340 unsilenced air filter it came with but I will have to do something about exhaust manifolds because it came with two passenger side manifolds (strange?).

Did I pay too much? Yes I did, but I got my project underway after waiting a long time for the basic 340 parts I needed. You have to start somewhere.

DSC00010.JPG

DSC04075.JPG

You guys are definitely cheap! I sold 2 longblock 340's int he past year each was $1600 and $1900. I bought a 68 340 shortblock for $800 late last year that needed a sleeve. It all depends on what you want to do. A 360 is fine if you want low horsepower and RPM, if you are looking to have the best small block Mopar ever made then the 340 is for you.

The 340 is a GREAT engine for sure but I don't know where you come up with "360 is low horsepower and RPM". That could not be farther from the truth. I have raced them for years and have even spun the factory cast crankshafts to 7000 RPM and never broke one.

I have shortblock components for sale in mechanical now. As I asking too much? Don't know and don't care. They ain't making them anymore so it's all in what you are looking to do.

At the end of the day the worth of it is what you are willing to pay......

JW

The 340 is a GREAT engine for sure but I don't know where you come up with "360 is low horsepower and RPM". That could not be farther from the truth. I have raced them for years and have even spun the factory cast crankshafts to 7000 RPM and never broke one.
That's because is doesn't make enough horsepower to break anything. :lol:

So where are the guys selling 340's for $250 - $500 range
I thought you guys would be all over this.

I have located a 340 that could be of use to replace the 318 in my Swinger. Below is the description in the add. He is asked $1,500. Does this seem fair?

"I have a 1970 340 motor that came out of a duster. I still have the title for the car the motor came out of. This motor was raced in the early eighty's and it ran the best of 11.77 in a barracuda. Motor needs rebuilt because its been sitting in a garage for 20 years. It was never hurt and had 80 psi oil pressure last time it ran. It is missing the rocker arms and push-rods."

All other comments aside (lol) no way should you pay that.... Now if you have the skills or have someone in your wheelhouse does with measuring tools and you are willing to pay the price tell the seller you will disassemble it and check everything. If all is good you will load it up and take it. If not, you shake hands and parts ways..... It quickly separates the BS factor in deals like this real quick.....

Almost got in a physical altercation using this method way long ago because when the heads came off there was junk from top to bottom and the seller won't in the mood to accept he got screwed by someone and couldn't pass the buck.....

Good luck,
JW

I paid $1200 for the 340 in my duster, the guy said it was rebuilt.
I tore it down anyways, it had sand in it where the guy was sandblasting.
The short block was fresh, .030 and .010 on the crank.
But it had a used cam, and sloppy timing chain.
The heads were used also and and were heavily ported with 7 cylinders cracked.
But I made lemonade out of lemons, engine runs fine now.

I have a few friends who can inspect engines. One is known in the tri-states for his engine buiding. They would end up doing the work on it. Still thinking about it right now. The engine isn't on top of the list of things to currently do, getting the underneath all cleaned up and re-done currently before that happens. Just saw it and wanted to get all of your opinions, which i'm thankful for!

-
Back