340 Leaking Coolant from Header Bolt

-

Zachary

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was working on taking off the headers that I could remove the heads to replace the head gasket and when I removed the bolts on the driver side that hold the headers onto the head, coolant started leaking out of the forward-most and aft-most bolt holes. My brother thinks it may be a cracked head but I figured I'd ask everyone here. Here's a link to a video of what's going on. Thanks.

Hey everyone,

So I was working on taking off the headers that I could remove the heads to replace the head gasket and when I removed the bolts on the driver side that hold the headers onto the head, coolant started leaking out of the forward-most and aft-most bolt holes. My brother thinks it may be a cracked head but I figured I'd ask everyone here. Here's a link to a video of what's going on. Thanks.

All 4 corner bolts screw into water jackets. You need to put some thread sealer on them. (not teflon tape)

The most out board studs (or in your case header bolt) , front and rear both sides thread directly into the water jacket. Drain the radiator and continue with the header removal. Put sealant on the header bolts (4 corners) on the reassembly.

IMG_1422.jpg

Sweet, thank you everyone. I was afraid of having to dish out $500 plus for new heads. My brother and I have both learned something new today.

No, your brother and you both learned something very OLD. lol

I will take your old leaky motor if you don't want it... :)

Interesting how often we see that question asked (or freaked out about) :D
Same with that "big hole in the center of the head that the intake doesn't cover."

Years back a guy I know bought a 69 Dart 340 4 spd off this guy for $300, who saw the same thing and thought the head was cracked.

If at possible run studs on the ends, I've had better luck sealing them over the years.

-
Back