340 marine engines.

-
Most industrial engines I have read about didn't make good street engines as they were built for relatively low rpm applications and for longevity. Perhaps they have a few good parts.

Same thing I have found. Like some deep well pump Hemis and such like that some of them even rotate the wrong direction
Opposite direction would be a better description. It wasn’t wrong in the duel engine boat.

Marine:
Built for higher rpm usage than industrial motors, they regularly see extended use at higher rpm.
Dual engines had one running in reverse rotation. The reverse rotation engines used different starters, cranks, cams, oil pumps, distributors, and crankshafts; none of which are useable in a passenger car. If you have a RR engine, it's basically good for the block and heads, and a few small parts.

Counter rotating props cancels out torque from the props. It makes a boat more stable. Also different types of hulls use different rotations. Some rotate inwards and some outwards.

I had a 340 chrysler marine in my 1965 Pembrook mahogany hull cabin cruiser . It was a good motor . The boat was a single screw 28 ft and went thru the water real nice.It cruised at around 2500 RPM and drank around 8 gallons of fuel an hour Just gave away the service manual for Chrysler Marine ( genuine MOPAR ) to a friend .It covered 340 and 318 . There was also a 225 marine engine used in smaller light weight boats . Most of these motors were salt water cooled so be aware of that if you are going to build one for a car , rust never sleeps .

Corrosion from salt water usage and no heat exchanger..

Some single engine boats, Correct Craft, used reverse rotation only. My 1968 Correct Craft Barracuda 318 is that way.

Correct Craft 3.JPG

102113sd 237.JPG

I think Direct drive prop boats use reverse rotation. I don't think IO's do. (inboard/outboard)
@71GSSDemon wil know I bet.

I think Direct drive prop boats use reverse rotation. I don't think IO's do. (inboard/outboard)
@71GSSDemon wil know I bet.
on a single engine, it doesn't matter much. Each OEM will have their reasons. On multi engine, you would want an even spread (Standard rotation and Counter rotation) if possible

Most industrial engines I have read about didn't make good street engines as they were built for relatively low rpm applications and for longevity. Perhaps they have a few good parts.
Thanks, guess they have steel cranks good blocks
if there not already rust buckets.Some had reverse rotation.
maybe my Dart would back up faster??

-
Back